Chinese-Forums

Seeking Chinese Courses in Shenzhen

ishani

My wife and I recently relocated to Shenzhen. We are looking for Chinese courses, preferably in the area of Nanshan.

We dont want to to take private lessons, as we rather meet other people, too.

We are also looking for any other interesting courses, but need to be able to support us in English untill we catch up Mandarin.

10X

Ishay

You should buy a copy of the Shenzhen Daily, which you'll find at most newspaper kiosks. It usually has quite a few ads for language training centres. You can also take a look at www.szparty.com for some useful listings. Most are in Shekou, which should be quite close to you.

I studied for one term at Shenzhen University (also in Nanshan) 3 years ago. At the time they only had full-time courses (mostly mornings). If you've got the time and want an intensive start then you could consider that. http://www.szu.edu.cn/szu_en/Inter.htm

I also studied last year at Shenzhen Daily training centre (Shennan Zhong Lu), 2 evenings a week. I thought the course was good but they were having problems getting enough students. If they are running another course it should be advertised in the newspaper.

• 2 weeks later...

Johnd, since you r now in shenzhen, would you please tell me a bit abt this city? I'm planning to go study mandarin there, but i don;t know which school to attend, i'm trying to find out more in this forum but haven't found sufficient info yet. I have an uncle who lives in shenzhen, would it be an advantage when i need to apply for visa or handling any kind of administration if i had my uncle as my guarantor? Thanks b4.

If you want to do a full time university course then there is only Shenzhen University – see the link above. The campus is a nice place to hang out, and all the teachers came from the north (and seemed to have standard accents). One piece of advice, when I went there the beginners were separated into about 5 classes, most with Korean and Japanese students, and one with students from the rest-of-the-world. If you know nothing about Chinese characters make sure they put in the rest-of-the-world class.

I suppose you should have a chat with your uncle if you want to know more about living in Shenzhen. I think it’s a good place to live and certainly worth you considering. I don’t think you’ll have any problems with visas. If you have applied for a university place then you can get a student visa before you come. And you can get extensions in the local police office without too much problem.

If you ever need a break then you go to downtown Hong Kong in about one and a half hours – but make sure you have a multiple entry visa and plenty of cash to spend in HK!

:roll:

Dear Johd, thanks for ur input, but what i want is only a short course maybe 3-6 months mandarin program. Does Shenzhen university offering program like that? yeah, i haven;t get contact with my uncle, he's been very busy lately.

I'm not totally blind about chinese character, i speak mandarin at home with mom, i can write and recognize the character a little bit.

Since life's so boring here, i want to seek a new environment which i suppose i can get it in Shenzhen, learning and having a break as well :)

If you have any info, please share it with me. Thanks for ur help.

You can do just one semester if you like, that's what I did. Each semester lasts about 4 months and starts in March or September. You should be able to find a class that suits your level as there are a lot of international students. But I was a total beginner, so I’m not sure about the details. Since you already have some experience, I think you could make a huge improvement in 4 months, and I reckon you'd have a good time doing it in Shenzhen.

Can't wait till that time lorr.. i'll just start in March then, really looking forward to start my new day at shenzhen hohoho..will find out how to register, hope it won;t be too complicated.

Eh..may i have your email add John? it'll be easier to contact you if i have any prob, if u don't mind of course.:mrgreen: