Chinese-Forums

Last minutes tips before I fly to Beijing?

magores

Bring deodorant. Depending on your size, clothes can be a little harder to find here for american size girls. (Even had an Chinese gf complain SHE couldn't find them!!!) Leave room for books/stuff you pick up.

next time you need to take a dump, go to the john, stand on top of the toilet stool, and squat. invite all your friends, neighbors, and a few strangers over to watch. then you would have prepared yourself for what it feels like to go to the bathroom in a public restroom in china. :mrgreen:

Forgot this:

Don't use the "taxis" from inside the airport they are all fake "hei1 che1" (black car=illegal taxi) and they will rip you off if you don't know what you are doing. They can be very convincing at being professionals, dressing in suits and having airport officials (or ppl that look like them) say the are legit. Go outside and be directed to a real one (taxi company, light on top of car).

Or take the airport shuttle bus to a stop close to where you're going, and then take a taxi from there. If you take a taxi, make sure it has and uses the meter. If you take a hei che, have the driver write down the price you have agreed on before getting in the car, this decreases the chance of being ripped off.

Bring copies of all relevant documents. Last time I came to BJ they wanted a copy of my visa, when I didn't have one they tried to charge me $1 (8 kuai!!) for copying.

If you want to read English (or other non-Chinese) books, bring some. They are hard to find and relatively very expensive in China.

Clothes is not a big problem, in my experience. I'm 1.78 m girl and never had much trouble finding clothes in my size.

I wouldn't worry to much about leaving room in your luggage for things you'll buy there, if you have too much stuff by the time you go home you can always send it by mail.

If you need some specific prescription medication (by a specific manufacturer). Take enough to last the time out.

Deodorant if not in a main city frequented by westerners. Can be difficult to find.

A half filled suitcase - to allow more shooping.

there's no deodorant! what's that all about? do they have condoms & shaving foam?

Yes condoms and foam are here and easy to find. (althought foam is relatively expensive compared to my beloved barbasol $0.79 / can at walmart)

There is deodorant but as I said I could only find it in the larger cities. Try Carrefour's or any shops which have imported western commodities. The deodorant which is available is expensive and similar price/more than it costs at home.

there's no deodorant! what's that all about?

Deodorant is a softy western thing. When I came to France 10 years ago you could buy deodorant but not anti-perspirant. Every time I returned to UK I would get a funny look from the cashier at the supermarket buying a year's worth of deodorant.

OK. Deoderant is the main thing. Carrefore (Jia La Fu) does not carry it I've looked. Tampons. I know this may be embarassing but it is survival. There are only pads or OB. Small alcohol wipes. Use for disifecting plates, bowels and the like. I did this for a little while in restaurants then stopped the practice after I became accustomed to the food. Cipro. Very important in case you come down with food poisoning. It's expensive but well worth it. Use only in emergencies. Talk to your doctor about it. If you are a reader set up with some one to send you English novels or whatever you read periodically. It preserves the sanity when you want to take a break in your language.

Most of all go with an open mind and your experience will be with you forever.

That's all I got.

Or take the airport shuttle bus to a stop close to where you're going, and then take a taxi from there.

Yeah, I forgot about that. Good point. You can ask the information desk at the airport. It should be 16 RMB, I believe, no matter where you go.

If you're going to BLCU or any of the other schools in the Hai4 Dian4 district. I believe the closest stop would-be "Zhong1 Guan1 Cun1" . From there you can take a taxi.

Thanks for the tips.

I had already stocked up on bars of soap and toothpaste. For some reason, extra deodarant didn't come to mind. Time for a another trip to the store before I go.

I'll be in the Chaoyang District of Beijing. So hopefully I will be able to find a store that carries at least some of the necessities.

One thing nice about being a guy, is that there is a whole bunch of stuff I don't have to worry about.

And, the directors of the school I will be teaching at are picking me up at the airport, so no worries on the taxi part.

Books are a key thing for me. I'll be bringing a couple. And music. LOTS of music. I've packed a few hundred CDs to bring with me. Vast majority are "bootlegs" (ie. recordings of live concerts). Anyone have any favorites? I might have your favorite band in my bag.

Anyway, thanks again.

Hope to see some of you around town.

Magores