Chinese-Forums

2006 Summer Study in Beijing

Pechey203

:help

Hello all. I'm a freshman right now at American University in Washington, DC. Unfortunately, my school does not offer much in the form of Asian language classes, especially Chinese. As a result of this, I want to spend this summer in Beijing studying Mandarin. I know that I won't be able to become fluent in one summer, but I'm hoping that it will be a good stepping stone to reaching fluency.

Originally I was planning on studying through WorldLink at the Academy of Foreign Language Study, but from the posts on this board, it sounds like their 12 week intensive program would not be worth the $1650 (classes only) they want for it.

I started looking at other programs at other universities and found the one at the Beijing Language and Culture University. Because of when my semesters end and start, I would have to do two 4 week programs (June 29th to July 26th and July 27th to August 23) and each session will cost me 3500 qui. Does this sound worth the cost? The classes are not intensive (as far as I know).

I'm going to be done with classes the first week of May and will probably be going to Beijing around May 20th, so I would have just over a month in country before classes started and was considering hiring a private tutor for that time.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan that is cost efficient? If peep have suggestions for other institutes to study at in Beijing (I have to go to Beijing because I will be living with my sister while she's there this summer) I would be open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks!

Lanna

:help