Chinese-Forums

HOW TO USE DIRECTIONS??

gir

I am afraid that I cannot answer your question because I simply do not know the answer, but I think it would definitely be beneficial to the reaction speed if you wrote decent English on these boards - I personally do not quite feel obliged to answer such posts :)

gir, you're starting to remind me of Sassy. I'll help you with this list, but after reading it, please go buy 1) a text book and 2) a (beginners) dictionary Ch-En En-Ch. Studying those will answer a lot of your future questions, including those on li, cong and wang.

the directions:

south nan2 南

east dong1 东

west xi1 西

north bei3 北

left zuo3 左

right you4 右

inside li3 里

outside wai 外

above shang4 上

below xia4 下

turn zhuan (forgot the tone) 转

continuously yizhi 一直

dong bianr/xi bianr simply means the eastern side/area and the western side/area.

you should first understand bian. for example in the question "huo che zhan zai nar?" (where is the train station) a response could be "zai xi bianr" (to the west), or even "zai na bianr" (that way).

First get some practice with that before moving on to the others.

talking about directions, I am reminded of what one of my Chinese teachers keeps telling us: that 往 is pronounced wang4, instead of wang3. He says there used to be a wang3 and a wang4 and depending on how you used it, you would pronounce it differently. And now, to make things easier for everybody, there is only wang4. Now, in your experience, is this true? My dictionary only offers wang3.

Randall