Chinese-Forums

NJStar and gmail (or Hotmail)

malinuo

I've got a friend who uses NJStar on Windows XP with hotmail.com. I got a few mails from this account, which all declared themselves to be ISO-8859-1, but they could be read correctly, if I only told my mail reader to read them as GB2312.

Trying to get this right, I sent my friend an invitation to gmail, which in my experience usually handles encodings well. However, the mails from gmail are usually also declared as ISO-8859-1, but can be read as GB2312, so that is status quo.

And today I got one mail from the gmail account which declared itself as UTF-8, but I haven't found any single encoding, which would make it legible.

Does anyone know of this kind of problem? Are there any settings in NJStar which can be set to make the mails look ok? (I have never seen the software myself.) Or is the reason for the problem somewhere else?

Thanks for any help.

I think I've come somewhat closer to an explanation of what's going on.

When my friend types in Chinese, NJStar doesn't "tell" the browser that it is using double-byte characters. "¼û" is then interpreted and displayed as two single byte characters, a quarter fraction and a u with a circumflex and not as 见, which the bytes of the two characters together would be.

Why NJStar doesn't "tell" the browser this, and if there is a way of making it do it, I don't know. I checked http://www.njstar.com/support/NJStar_Communicator/ , but didn't get much out of it.