Chinese-Forums

为vs对

daydreamer

Anyone has any ideas about the differences between using 为 and 对. I know how to use them but that's all because I'm native speaker. When I tried to explain to a Chinese learner, I found I can't explain clearly.

For example:

饮食、睡眠,一个人的健康十分重要。

他们她的成功高兴。

I know here 为 and 对can't instead each other, but i just can't explain why...

I am a native English speaker but my Chinese level is just so, so. According to my dictionary

对- with regard to/concerning

为- in the interest of, for

Diet and sleep are extremely important in regard to a persons health.

饮食、睡眠,对一个人的健康十分重要。

He is very happy for her success.

他们为她的成功高兴。

I guess daydreamer might be puzzled in explaining the english word 'for' to chinese learners. According to <簡明漢語語法>,

介詞" 對" "對於"的作用是把跟謂語有關係的人或事物介紹出來 . 由" 對" "對於"組成的介詞結構在句中經常做狀語.

The function of the prepositions 對and 對於is to introduce persons or things which are related to the predicate. Prepositional structures formed with 對 and 對於 usually serve as adverbials. (p. 204)

It gives some examples, and I'll only list 2.

他對人很熱情

對於他的進步, 我們都感到高興.

I agree with autumn's interpretation. The following sentences are somewhat different to me. 我這樣做是為他好. 我這樣做是對他好. To me, the first sentence emphasizes the purpose--"for" his own good, while the second sentence stresses particularly on the "person" to whom will be beneficial. Just an opinion. Hope it helps.

Anyone has any ideas about the differences between using 为 and 对

I think that the root meaning of 为 comes from the notion of "action" and "conduct," whereas the root meaning of 对 comes from "facing." As a general rule, I think you use 为 when "for" means acting on somebody's behalf and you use 对 when the meaning is simply looking towards someone's position or interests. I think those who equate 对 with "regarding" are also giving a useful shortcut.

The following is my answer to libertango's question--translating 'For'. Hope it helps.

For--為 wei4--means 'for the benifit of'; it is used on the occasion in the sense that

something is done/made for one.

---對....來說--means 'to the opinion of someone's';it is used to indicate how something affects someone.

Put these two in one sentence as follows:

The spicy soup exclsively for me is too spicy for me, (although I am into spicy food.)

這特別為我做的辣湯對我來說還是太辣了( 雖然我很喜歡吃辣)

Hope it helps.