Chinese-Forums

need help buying computer bits

ocpaul20

Hi,

I need to buy some computer parts (motherboard, processor, case, PSU, memory, soundcard, videocard, flatscreen?) and I would like to know if there is anyone out there who would like to help me buy them and can also help me put them together. I have watched others doing it but not actually done it myself. I currently have a laptop with chinese XP on it and I really want to get a PC with W2000 and my old 80Gb hard disk in it so I can do stuff. Dont like laptops much.

So, I am looking for someone who might be interested in helping me buy these items in a computer market here in Beijing and fit them into a case please. I am a programmer so I can probably sort out the software side of things I just lack the confidence to do the hardware right first time.

Anyone interested ? If so, please email me at ocpaul20 at yahoo dot co dot uk

Thanks

Paul

Why not ask the market people to put them together for you?

Also since you are a programmer, with some courage I think you can do this on your own. Do your research in this order: pick your cpu, find out its socket type, pick the motherboard that's a best fit for that cpu and provides all the media ports you need. If your cpu doesn't include a heatsink, find one that's rated and tested against your cpu. Then find a case that fits your motherboard's form factor(and looks nice), if the case comes with a power supply make sure it gives enough power for your system. Then read the motherboard manual and pick a compatible memory. There you have all the components you need to get you started on a barebone system. Just remember to buy everything with its original MANUAL. The hardest part is installing the CPU and the heatsink correctly, if you are not confident about that part, I am sure you can ask the vendor to install them for you, provided you bought both from the same vendor. The other components are really easy -- plug and play (read each's installation guide).

Here's a good page to do research on the latest components: http://www.tomshardware.com

There are usually markings on the component pieces, make sure they match with what you buy. Tell them not to throw away the boxes and manuals. Do your research before you go, know what brands or types of components you want. If you pick your components before hand, you can usually find their respective manuals online, and have an idea of what they look like.