Chinese-Forums

Tourist visa and one-way ticket?

hakkaboy

I just bought a one-way ticket to Kunming, and have tried to apply for a tourist visa (which I will change to a student visa in Kunming). But the travel agency has baulked at the one-way ticket. Will there be a problem at the embassy? Should I try to get a return ticket instead?

I had a similar situation and I had no problem at the Chinese Consulate in Chicago. They will not ask to see your flight itinerary or anything like that. I don't think you need to worry if you apply for the visa yourself directly at the Embassy or Consulate.

It's travel agents and airlines that have problems with this, as they are apparently responsible for sending you home if you are refused entry, and they worry that a tourist with a one-way ticket will be refused entry - despite the fact that it never happens (anyone heard of it happening? I haven't).

Seems to be very variable how much fuss they make about it. Some people board no problem, but I've heard of one or two people who wound up having to buy a fully-refundable ticket. See here for a similar case.

Your issue is not with the consulate - unless you walk in with a 'China Sux' T-shirt and laugh at the clerk's haircut, you'll get a visa. It's the airline that may cause you problems.

Roddy

Agree with Roddy. Some airlines have policies whereby they require their passenger to be able to demonstrate onward travel to protect themselves fiancially like Roddy has outlined (some countries have introduced laws stating that airlines are responsible for passengers who are refused entry. If the airlines requires onward travel, change carriers to one that will allow you to board with a one way ticket.

Also check with the carrier to which you have bought the ticket. If they have a onward travel policy, they will still sell you a ticket however may then refuse boarding once you are arrived at the airport ready for departure. This forces you into buying an onward ticket in order to leave.

Roddy, have not heard of anyone entering China, but know that in Heathrow there were a small number of people who lived in limbo as they were refused entry into the UK and the airlines refused to return them to their home country without payment. They could also not get support from their home country or family.

Well, my problem is slightly more complex. As the Yunnan Shida terms starts end-February, I want to go on December 18th on a tourist visa and travel round Yunnan and then in Feb go to Shida and change the visa to a study one. So I wrote "90 days" on the Visa form. The travel agent, who did not supply the air ticket, is pretty sure 30 days is all that is available, and that I would need to show a return ticket to get a 90 day visa. However, after reading your comments here, I now think maybe there will be no problem. I think the travel agent just didn't come across this problem before. I am getting a travel agent to get the visa for me instead of queueing up myself at the embassy.