Chinese-Forums

"do you want to marry me" in Cantonese

yoeri_levelt

Seems rather similar to standard mandarin. Get rid of 唔 and 畀 and add 不 and 給. 同 maybe a little different though.

同 "tong" (similar to "to" in Japanese") = 跟 or 和 (跟 in Cantonese only means to follow, 和 is not used for "and/with" in Cantonese)

唔 "mmm" = 不 consistently

畀 "bei" = 给

Cantonese written out is always similar to mandarin.

hehe native Shanghainese/Wu word for "and" is 脱 (not actual character), pronounced [t'@] or [t'o].

同 in Shanghainese is pronounced [do~], and is never used as a conjunction.

和 is never used in Shanghainese as a conjunction except in whole words like 共和国, in this case it means "harmony."

跟 is used often as conjunction.

帮 is used as conjunction too.

及 is sometimes used.

"Do you want to marry me" in shanghainese would be: 侬要脱我结婚伐? 伐 (va) is exactly equivalent to the English interrogative "do", and quite different from Mandarin 吗 ma, it replaces the xx不xx (是不是、想不想、好不好) construction in Mandarin.

I guess I could also say 侬愿意嫁拔我伐? sounds very patronizing though. 拔 [p@] really should be written --> 畀.

A friend of mine asked his now wife: 阿拉结婚哪哪? ("how about we marry?")

• 3 weeks later...

Would someone be so kind as to write me the phonetical version of the next sentence?

I have only 55 days left before i am going to ask my girlfriend to marry me and that's not enough time to learn the actual characters. I don't know if there's a pinyin equivalent of it.

你愿唔愿意嫁畀我? It will already be challenging enough to learn how to properly pronounce it in less then 2 months for someone who has no prior background in either Mandarin or Cantonese.

I had plans to take a mandarin course this year but there was no open spot left here in Belgium.

Lastly, if there's a brave soul who can tell me where i can see this character sequence in a bigger size so that i can try & learn how to write it too ( just this sentence ). I suppose the order in which to make the markings is the same as for mandarin?

Maybe it's better that i'll restrict myself to learning how to write "wo ai ni" or it's Cantonese equivalent since i'm a beginner.

Lastly, if there's a brave soul who can tell me where i can see this character sequence in a bigger size so that i can try & learn how to write it too ( just this sentence ). I suppose the order in which to make the markings is the same as for mandarin?

Maybe it's better that i'll restrict myself to learning how to write "wo ai ni" or it's Cantonese equivalent since i'm a beginner.

你愿唔愿意嫁畀我?

I love you =我爱你

Would someone be so kind as to write me the phonetical version of the next sentence?

I assume "next" means this one: 你愿唔愿意嫁畀我?

nei yün mm yün yi ga bei ngo?

ngo ngoi nei

mm = closed lip sound

ngo & ngoi --> you can drop the silent nasal "ng", and use "o" and "oi" respectively. "o" is roughly the same as the Mandarin vowel "o", and "oi" as in coin.

All other sounds (nei yun yi ga bei) are pronounced like if they were in Mandarin pinyin, with different tones of course.

Thanks to all of you. I asked a teacher from Guangzhou to record that sentence for me

( 你愿唔愿意嫁畀我?). I know her ( the teacher ) from MySpace.com

Hopefully my accent won't be too horrible as i want to get a serious reaction; not a laughing one.

52 more days left to practice. :shock: