Chinese-Forums

BNU class levels

adrianlondon

Hi, I've got lots of options bouncing around in my head right now, but am leaning towards picking BNU as a place to spend a term/semester learning chinese.

I can speak (and read/write) a bit already as I've had some tuition in London. I don't want to start from the beginning; learning all the simple stuff like tones, basic grammar, and the common characters. However, as everyone no doubt knows different stuff, I guess BNU will somehow assess my level and place me accordingly.

Anyone done a placement test? Anyone start in the non-beginner and not-particularly-good class? Comments? Opinions? Ta.

• 4 weeks later...

All new students take a placement test. It's pretty challenging. I was placed in what is the equivalent of the second semester of the second year, and, while I finished the test, it was not easy. I don't know how someone who hasn't studied Chinese or who has only studied very little would get past the first couple questions. Ultimately, I am pleased with the level I was placed in.

For two (I think) weeks after the placement test you can sit in on classes in different levels and if you decide you'd like to move down a level, you simply talk to your teacher and do so. If you'd like to move up, you have to take another test. I don't know anyone who has moved up.

Hope that helps.

Kailin

--------

For those delicate individuals living in China for whom the content is clearly too disturbing to allow you to access it directly:

http://anonymouse.org/cgi-bin/anon-www.cgi/http://tantian.blogspot.com

That does help; thanks very much. I get the feeling that, unless I revise what I already know, I'm going to struggle with the test. So I'll revise before I start that September course :)

Also, I like the fact you can sit in on other levels - I can try the one harder than mine to see how difficult it really is. BNU seem quite good at this kind of stuff; they also give you two weeks to try out their accommodation before committing. I think I'll apply to their apart-hotel thing and then spend the two weeks trying to find an apartment.

Thanks again.

Kailin, could you say a few words about the structure (e.g. how are spoken and written skills tested) and the content of the placement test at BNU... I have studied for some time now (12 weeks at BLCU, and a semester at Beiwai), so I'm definitely going to be a victim of these placement tests that obviously are based on which books you have studied , and what your idea of a test is... Like at Beiwai, when we took the midterm in 汉语, the result definitely didn't reflect each students ability to communicate within the language, but more your knowledgde of thevgrammar only used in the studied chapters, the respective vocab, and so on... But yes, just a few words would be much appreciated!

Glad the info was helpful, Adrian. I do think that BNU do a pretty good job administrating their students, as you say.

Dan, the first day at the school is kind of a blur to me right now, but I will try to dredge the memory of the test up for you. You actually take two tests--a long written test and a short speaking test. The written test tests grammar, reading and writing (mostly with true/false, multiple choice if I remember correctly) and also includes a listening section with multiple choice answers. The listening section was surprisingly easy, I thought.

The spoken test is a few minutes face to face with a professor. They will ask you one or two general questions, and then ask you to read from a piece of paper. I had difficulty at this point with not recognizing many characters, but I think they are also paying lots of attention to your overall fluidity and tones. Then they ask you a couple of questions in relation to the passage that you read.

Kailin

Stephan,

Vocabulary in each lesson is given in pinyin, so you will have no problem learning new words. Depending on the book, there may be pinyin versions of the lesson text. Usually beginner level books do have both. However, I believe you will need to learn characters for tests, even at the lowest levels. I have not come across a course taught entirely in pinyin yet.

Thanks. I had meant the question to be about the placement tests, but you did answer that too.

BTW, I had asked you (in a different thread) to report on your impressions after attending school for a few months now. I don't recall which thread. One that you had started, announcing which school you're attending, and that you'd provide some follow up.

• 3 years later...

Hi!

On the homepage of a study abroad site I found the following description about the levels at BNU, it may be interesting for some of you.

Nine Levels: 100-402

Level 100: For preparatory students.

Grade One

Level 101-102: For students who have some pronunciation training, know around 800 Chinese words, and can speak in simple, daily conversation. Course includes reading, writing, listening, and speaking. It focuses on Chinese pinyin, daily conversation, improving listening and reading skills, and writing exercises.

Grade Two

Level 201-202: is for students who know about 1500 Chinese words and basic sentence patterns, and are also able to engage in daily conversation. This course is more extensive in building skills: listening, writing, reading, and speaking abilities. The class focuses on building vocabulary, continuing to study sentence patterns and grammar, intensifying reading exercises, and understanding the meaning and usage of words.

Grade Three

Level 301-302: For students who know at least 2500 Chinese words, who have a system of knowledge of Chinese grammar, and are able to speak in daily conversation at a higher level than Level 3. There will be strong emphasis on building listening, reading, writing, and speaking skills.

Grade Four

Level 401-402: For students who know around 3500 Chinese words, and can engage in more complicated discussions, as well as give short speeches.

The curriculum is mainly divided to three sections: Language skills, linguistics and Chinese literature and culture classes. The language skills lessons focus on Chinese reading, listening, writing and newspaper reading, etc. Linguistics skills include modern Chinese, ancient Chinese, and linguistics theory. Chinese literature and culture focuses on Chinese modern literature, Chinese social customs, etc. There are also some Business Chinese lessons available.