Chinese-Forums

Ep 9 plot

randall_flagg

This has been the best episode so far. Boy, it was really exciting. And I am not kidding, I mean it.

A few things that happen:

- Xiaofeng tells Jianping that she will only go on living with him if he accepts three conditions.

o 1) He mustn’t lie to her. (yeah, like that’s gonna happen)

o 2) If its convenient for him, he should call her has often as he can.

o 3) He may not just by himself go on a business trip with a female colleague – unless that colleague happens to be more than 50 years old.

- During the next few minutes we witness poor Jianping getting tons of calls from Xiaofeng. He’s in his office, he’s at work and she keeps calling him. He also calls her, saying stuff like: “Hey, just wanted to call you (cause you are making me). Nothing special going on (can I hang up now?)”

- Xiaofeng also gets a brand new telephone with caller ID 电显示, so that she can tell from where he is calling. He’s none too happy about this.

- The nurses at Jianping’s (new) clinic are watching Dongbei and Juanzi’s wedding video and all agree that Jianping’s wife is really beautiful. 男才女貌 Only, the problem is that the woman in the video is not Xiaofeng, but Xiaoli (the pretty neighbour/supposed lover). Now everybody in the hospital thinks they know what Jianping’s wife looks like, which is potential trouble, considering we are watching a soap opera.

- All the while Xiaofeng is trying to call Jianping, but he’s performing surgery, so he left his cell phone in his locker. But she keeps calling and calling and calling. When he is done with his patient and turns his phone back on, he sees that Xiaofeng called him like half a dozen times per minutes. Despair on Jianping’s face (can’t blame him).

- Xiaofeng goes to pick up Dangdang from school. On her way back, she makes Dangdang call his dad (Jianping), using her (Xiaofeng’s) cell phone. Of course he doesn’t answer his phone, cause he thinks it is Xiaofeng calling again. So Xiaofeng stops the car and calls Jianping from a public phone…so he doesn’t know she’s calling. He does what she expected him to do: he answers the call. Of course she yells at him and asks him why he’s not answering her calls. At this point, Jianping loses his temper. For this first time, really, I think. Well, he doesn’t really lose his temper but he does put his fist done and finally speaks up a little.

- Next we see Xiaofeng talking to Xiaoli. Xiaofeng asks Xiaoli just how she knew that her ex-husband (Xiaoli is divorced) cheated on her (Xiaoli, that is). Xiaoli defends Jianping and tries to call Xiaofeng down. But she’s really worked up and heads for the hospital (Jianping is at the hospital). This REALLY spells trouble, because nobody knows who Xiaofeng is -- but everybody thinks they have seen Jianpings wife (when all they saw was Xiaoli). Thank gosh Xiaoli is smart enough to give Jianping a heads up: “Your crazy wife is headed your way! Hide if you can!”

- Jianping tells his staff to tell Xiaofeng that he is swinging the knife and that the operation is going to take like forever. He thinks Xiaofeng will just head home, but nope, not Xiaofeng! She just waits, for ours on end, for Jianping to come out of the hospital. Jianping watches her form his window and waits for her to go home. After a while he just gives up and makes her wait (in the cold).

- The moment Jianping comes out of the hospital and starts talking to his wife (Xiaofeng), Juanzi has a brainfart (to use Roddy’s words). She sends Jianping a text message about married men who have lovers and such (I don’t really understand what she is saying). Of course, Xiaofeng grabs Jianping’s cell phone and reads the message. She then calls Juanzi (not knowing it is her who sent the message) and asks her who she (Juanzi) is. Juanzi gets scared and hangs up (that’s happen like 4 episodes before). Now Xiaofeng is really worked up: Juanzi’s voice sounds so young!

- Jianping and Xiaofeng start fighting and take the fight home. For the first time we see how much poor little Dangdang is suffering. Also a first, they REALLY fight. They don’t just sit there and talk, but they start shouting pretty good!

- They fall asleep during this row and wake up to Dangdang bringing them breakfast into their bedroom, where the two of them sit, still dressed from the night before. What a sad sight!

- Jianping goes to work and we see Xiaofeng going through all of Jianping’s recent calls (she has his cell phone). She starts calling people up and asks them who they are. The moment she calls Juanzi, Juanzi is in Jianping’s office, talking to him. He quickly reacts and tells Juanzi who Xiaofeng is. (I think he could have done a much better job of telling Juanzi what to say on the phone, what he did was a half-arsed effort, 好像是半途而废).

- Anyway, Xiaofeng wants to meet up with Juanzi and talk business. Just when Jianping wants tell Juanzi what’s been going on, Juanzi has to leave the office. She know dislikes Jianping even more than before, because she thinks he has a lover AND is now also talking bad about his wife. (She doesn’t use this term, but I guess 乌鸦嘴 would be appropriate here?)

What a ride! This episode kept me on tenterhooks from the first minute, yet it wasn’t always very convincing.

Too tired to start analysing it now, though. Like last night, it’s way to late and I have to go to school tomorrow.

Just one question I would like to have answered: What do you think of the western doctor 杰瑞

Randall