Chinese-Forums

Translation for 吃回头草

kaifaqu crue

Hey,

Can someone help me out with a translation of 吃回头草? I imagine it's 成语. It was the only Chinese phrase in an English blog entry written by someone from Singapore. From what I can gather, it has to do with coming back to a job or something that's possibly unpleasant, but I'm not really sure. Thanks for any and all help.

It can also mean when you break up with your girlfriend/boyfriend/partner, and you'll never have that relationship again even if there's a possible comeback.Ex:

如果我和我的女朋友分手後, 就算以後有機會, 我也不會吃回頭草.

If I break up with my girlfriend, even there's a chance to get back, I won't want to have it.

Its original phrase goes like : 好馬不吃回頭草. (literally translated as a good horse won't go back to eat grass that it has already eaten.)

Another phrase related to 草cao3 is 兔子不吃窩邊草.(literally translated as a hare does not eat the grass near its own hole.) It can be used in many contextx, one example is, in office culture, one won't want to have a love relationship with someone in your office.

Hope it helps!:)