Chinese-Forums

"really?"

stewie

I agree with Quest,

to add on, I find it to be regional as to which expression people tend to use. For example, while living in Eastern Zhejiang, I found that most people would say "真的”whereas, in Jiangsu, they would often say “是吗”which led me to believe that I was being made fun of. However, that was not the case.

I believe when we are unwilling to believe it, we would say:"不是把?!”

but when we are not sure whether to believe it or not and would like to have the other's confirmation we would say"真的?/真的吗?”

and when we doubt it greatly we would say "是吗?”

ie. A: 他和***结婚了

B:不是吧!?(indicating that he is unwilling to believe the fact bec maybe ***is too ugly to match him:mrgreen: )

or B: 真的吗?(indicating he doesn't believe it at the first moment maybe bec it comes all of a sudden)

or B: 是吗?( indicating he doesn't think it's likely)

But generally we don't distinguish them. you can just use at your own will but don't use " 不是吧” in front of people who are much elder or of higher social rank

Round these parts people just yell "真的!" with a suitable questioning tone of voice and appropriate facial expressions. When they calm down they may repeat the question and add "吗"as our text books tell us we should! But I wouldn't guarantee it.

• 2 weeks later...

"zhen1 da" sounds nice and easy to remember. I couldn't find it though as one phrase at the talking dictionary, so I made this composite using the same website:

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~walstone/public/zhen-da.mp3

can someone confirm it sounds correct before I burn it to cd? (I'm making a cd of common phrases using that excellent website)