Chinese-Forums

Questions about some phrases

bomaci

I've been studying chinese intensively for about a year. Up until now I have been using the "Standard Chinese: A Modular approach" developed by the Foreign service institute. However I'm getting a bit tired of learner content and have thus decided to start learning from chinese movies instead. I have started looking at the movie 一声叹息 and have some questions about some words and phrases I hope someone can answer. I already sort of know the meaning about some of them, but would like to confirm that my hunches are correct.

1. 随风而去, What does this phrase mean?

2. 关起来写, does this mean to concentrate on writing. Writing in a concentrated state?

3. 打鸣谢, My guess is that this means to thank someone in a big way.

3. 气场, what does this mean, haven't been able to find it in a dictionary. The context is

"我觉得这屋的气场好, 特出活"

4. 特出活, Something like "great for getting a lot done", correct?

1.随风而去meanings in words is leaving with wind.Its means is things went away and left nothing

2.关起来写 is not one word.It means lock one person in one room or other place in order to make him concreate writing

3.打鸣谢,there is no this word in Chinese.Maybe you made one mistake I think

4.气场 It is one very professional word.But I think using it in this sentence is not right.As I didn't watch this movie,so I don't know which word is suitable.

5.特出活 It is said usually by people living in Beijing.Its meaning is high efficiency.

If you have any other question,you can email me.frankqingfeng@yahoo.com

It contains too many Beijing local idioms and phrases which, as a Chinese myself, I don't understand. I can only say the first one means "gone with the wind". I think the movie "infernal affairs" is a good choice since it's pretty standard Chinese usage.:mrgreen:

1. 随风而去 (who is) gone with the wind/ (what is) carried away by the wind

2. 关起来写, (who) locked (whom/what) up in order to write.

3. 打鸣谢, 打(hit/type/show) 鸣谢 (Thanks) (what's the context?)

3. 气场 Qi/Chi/Ki Field, some fengshui term I believe.

4. 特出活 no idea...

Thanks everyone. Actually I think this movie is great for me because I am very interested right now to pick up expressions used in Beijing. I realize the "proper" thing is probably to learn more standard mandarin first but in my current situtation learning some 北京话 is very useful. I at least want to learn to understand it.

3. 打鸣谢, 打(hit/type/show) 鸣谢 (Thanks) (what's the context?)

The context for this is 我给他们宾馆在咱们电视剧里打鸣谢. This is what is in the subtitles anyway and far as I can tell it also what is said on the soundtrack.

About the expression 关起来, does 关 itself mean to lock up or is it just in conjunction with 起来?

Another expression which comes up in the same part of the movie is 都关这儿写(了)两个月了. Does this mean "He has been locked up here for two months, writing"? (I'm not a native english speaker so I hope my translation is understandable).

Be sure you can distinguish Beijing slangs, because if you use them elsewhere in China, you wouldn't be understood.

I will make sure I do this. But right now I primarily want to learn to understand them. I am very careful about using slang when speaking in a foreign language. It requires a lot of cultural knowledge I think to be able to use slang properly.

Thanks everyone for your replies.