Chinese-Forums

Dentistry in China

hakkaboy

hakkaboy, seeing a dentist is not that popular in China right now. If you would like to have your teech checked, maybe you need to consider the authenticity rather than expenses. I think the most outstanding school/hospital in dentistry here is '中山医科大学' in Guangzhou.

A S. African friend got a lot of dental work (root canals, molars pulled) done in Chengdu, which has a very good dental school. He said to make sure you ask for the Novacaine tho, cuz they don't always assume you want it. ??? I've never had any major work done, but he had a pos. experience, said he got the VIP treatment at the Huaxi dental school in Chengdu,and a professor did the work, so I'd consider it next time. I've had my teeth cleaned which cost 39 RMB (less than $5 US) Other procedures are pretty cheap as well, in the clinic I was in there was a poster advertising crowns for 50 RMB and false teeth for 100 RMB or sth like that. One friend had a root canal for a ridiculously low price. The clinic wasn't as spotless and sterile as a Western one, but the instruments were very clean. And they let me sit in a chair in back facing away from the window. As you might know, dentists have all glass fronts and you can see the patients getting their dental work done from the street. I don't know if they're trying to advertise their sleek new modern equipment or what, but there's not much privacy in the dentist office.

Hakkaboy, i've seen your posts before - in or gonna be in Kunming, right? There used to be a dentist from HK there but that was 5 yrs ago. You can ask some foreigners there (there' s lots of people who've been there 7 yrs or more and really know their way around) who they go to. There's a local Kunming guide in English they sell at the Wicker Basket that might have info as well. There also was a free western clinic called Project Grace (used to be in Chun Yuan Xiao Qu- don't know now) - I don't know if they have any dentists there but they could probably make a recommendation. thatz all i got.