Chinese-Forums

Talking to Old People

Altair

What are appropriate ways to address an elderly stranger on the street? Is there much difference between the terms I have listed below? In American English, I would simply say "sir" or "ma'am."

老人家?

老人? (Does this imply the person addressed is elderly, just older than the speaker, or something else?)

老爷爷? (Can a middle-aged adult say this to an elderly person?)

Any other common options?

"老人家" can substitute the pronoun "你","老人" can't. ”老人“ is not used (and impolite) to address people. 老人家 can be used together with 您 -> 您老人家 or 老人家您。

"老爷爷" is usually used by children, but can occasionally be used by adults to show humbleness.

Others: 老先生,伯伯,爷爷,老爷子,老公公,老伯,叔叔 etc..

Usually, using 老人家,伯伯,or 老先生 can't be wrong. 叔叔 shows humbleness, and is also never wrong.

For old women: 婆婆,奶奶,阿姨,老夫人 etc.

Using "阿姨" would make most old people happy.

But just like in English, you want to be careful not to say, e.g. 阿姨 to a lady who is, say, in her early 30s. She probably wouldn't be too happy, unless you are a LOT younger than she is. But I guess that's just common sense.

Guess also here we have a lot of regional differences. Here in Shanghai speaking Putonghua I would adress an old man in the street as xiansheng or lao xiansheng and an old lady I would adress as taitai or Lao taitai. I have however overheard about any women being adressed as ayi, especially all young ones if people speak shanghaihua.