Chinese-Forums

Confucian Aristocracy?

randall_flagg

I am reading this text by an American scholar by the name of Thomas Maggee. This text was written in the US during the 1880s. Maggee argues that there is a Confucian aristocracy in China. He says that only descendents of Confucius are true nobleman in China (unlike relatives of the emperor, whose status would have vanished after the 7th generation), and that they enjoy privileges of an aristocracy. Have you heard of this? I haven’t, and unless somebody else tells me so, I guess I’m not going to believe it. Anyone know about his?

I believe to some extent it is true. The Kong family in Qufu (曲阜), Shandong was highly regarded by emperors of all dynasties and bestowed with honours. This is why the Kong Temple, Kong Residence, and Kong Cemetary got to remain there, extended and refurbished all the times, and the descendents got to be court officials throughout the centuries. And Confucius himself was given all sorts of big titles (like 聖, 王)

Take a look -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qufu

In 205 BC, Emperor Gao of the Han Dynasty was the first emperor to offer sacrifices to the memory of Confucius in Qufu. He set an example for many emperors and high officials to follow. Later, emperors would visit Qufu after their enthronement or on important occasions such as a successful war. In total, 12 different emperors paid 20 personal visits to Qufu to worship Confucius. About 100 others sent their deputies to for 196 visits.
Since Confucius' descendants were conferred noble titles and were given imperial princesses as wives, many of the tombs in the cemetery show the status symbols of noblemen.

I read that the 53th generation descendant of Confucius is in Taiwan. During the KMT era, Mr. Kung seemed to be enjoying some special status. I haven't heard from him recently.

But if he goes back to Shandong, I guess Mr. Kung may be able to enjoy a more privileged status.

Confucian Aristocracy?

I think that maybe the title can be revised as, “Were the descendents of Confucius aristocracy? ”

This text was written in the US during the 1880s. Maggee argues that there is a Confucian aristocracy in China. He says that only descendents of Confucius are true nobleman in China (unlike relatives of the emperor, whose status would have vanished after the 7th generation), and that they enjoy privileges of an aristocracy.

Yes, that’s true. I think maybe the descendents of Confucius were all used as some kind of culture symbol in Confucianism for emperors in various dynasties, so that they could rule their country firmly in ideology. Of course, no pay, no gain. In order to use this symbol, all most all emperors would give a lot of benefits to the descendents of Confucius (so I just wonder whether I should use the word “bribe” here8) ).

Things like this still practice well in China mainland, but in another forms. For example, if some company wants to make its name in the market, it can pay some money to some professor in some famous university. Then this guy will write some “academic” article to boast this company. Or a company directly hires a professor in some famous university in their field or in relative fields, then, it boasts to the press, “Professor X from famous XX University is hired as a permanent consultant in our company.”

Thanks!