Chinese-Forums

Additional visa to enter Hong Kong?

Russ

Another question about visa stuff :mrgreen:

Here it comes...

Assuming that I have a single entry F visa to stay and study in Guangzhou, do I need an additional visa to enter Hong Kong (for pleasure reason)? I'm not going to stay in HK longer than 2 days though. Also since I'm going to do that (travel GZ-HK-GZ) more than once, does it mean that I have to get a multiple entry visa instead? I know that HK is a part of China now, but not sure about how the visa stuff works.

Thanks.

As far as Visa is concerned, HongKong seems to operate independently from mainland China; and whether you need a visa for HK or not depends on the arrangement between your country & HK (For example, British citizens may not require a visa to enter HK, but will need a visa to enter the mainland).

When you're in Guangzhou, if you want to visit HK and then return to the mainland, I think you'll need a multiple entry visa for China.

Hope someone with confirm what I've said and give you more concrete advice :mrgreen:

Basically, if you are on a single entry visa for the mainland and you nip across to HK (even for 5 minutes), you will need a new visa to get back into the mainland. So a multiple entry would be better.

However, if you have a new style residence permit (in your passport rather than the old green book) you can nip back and forwards as you please.

As to whether you need a visa for HK, it depends on your nationality. See the advice above.