Chinese-Forums

Sending large files at a Chinese Wangba

hakkaboy

Someone said that Chinese Internet cafes have no CD ROM drives. I am arriving in China on Dec 18th, but I will need to send a file of several MBs from my laptop tosomeone abroad in January. how can I do that? Can I get a wangba to connect my laptop directly to the INternet?

> What do I need on my laptop to be able to use free WiFi? Do I need hardware/software?

You need a WiFi card and a driver for it. I'm pretty sure you can buy a card where you bought your laptop. WiFi cards are often built in with high end laptops.

See gougou's entry for a list of wireless hotspots (which is where you can use WiFi) in China.

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi

according to this site:

昆明---拨号:16300 用户名:16300 密码:16300  0.08元/min

So, just do a normal dialup, and use 16300 as the # to dial, 16300 as username and password, should get you connected anywhere you have access to a phone line, 0.08 RMB/min

3MB should take you about 20-30 minutes I think, which would cost you about 2 yuan. or you can try the wangba first, but wangba costs too.