Chinese-Forums

UK Netgear firewall router - use in China?

ocpaul20

I bought this DG834 in the UK and was using it without problems but I now live in china and I want to use it here. I have tried just plugging it in and changing the username/password for the ISP but it will not connect.

1) Does anyone know what kind of questions I need to ask to set this up successfully? (apart from IP/DNS etc) I just wonder if the telephone systems are similar or if anyone else has used a 'foreign' router here in china?

2) Has anyone else done this or used one in China? Any helpful suggestions would be gratefully received. Thanks

My ADSL ISP is CNC. At present I am using an Alcatel Home PlusPlus 500 which is single port kit and I want to use the firewall and 4-port capability of the DG834.

Thanks,

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your help & suggestions guys. I did contact the bloke from netgear here in china and he has suggested a few things and also said I should contact CNC (china telephone company) if this doesn't work. I will also look at the articles mentioned too.