Chinese-Forums

Chinese/English electronic dictionary help

Monkeyman

Hi everyone,

I've just completed my CHIN101 course last semester and wanted to get an electronic dictionary because it takes me too long to look up Chinese characters in my paperback dictionary.

Can someone recommend one for me? I'm looking for one that can do the following:

Mandarin

Simplified characters

Shows pinyin

look up Chinese characters by radical

I found this one http://www.bbkusa.com/proddetail.asp?prod=AM99 but I'm not sure if it's any good.

Thanks for your help!!

Monkeyman

Hi there

that dictionary looks OK.

but how about looking abit more. at www.chinesemall.com,

model # Instant-Dict Oxford 7350. It has hand-writing recognizition.

It helps chinese learners alot. You can literally write any chinese text on the pad and it will translate. better than writing in pinyin...(some characters you don't even konw how to pronouce it in some cases).

Hope that helps.

NOBU

• 2 months later...

If you're going to spend $200 on a pocket electronic dictionary, I would recommend looking into a Palm and the PlecoDict dictionary. It includes handwriting input, radical lookup and pinyin. Translates from E->C and C->E. Also has a fair flashcard feature with some flashcard sets available on-line.

The Instant-Dict Oxford 7350 looks good, but does anyone know about the Instant-Dict 8500? It is significantly more expensive... is it worth that extra money? I see that the menu can be changed into English, which might be helpful... :conf

P.S.: Shouldn't this be in the "Chinese Computing and Technology" section?

I am going to Beijing to study at 北京语言大学, and I was wondering what I should bring as far as electronic dictionaries go. (If I should bring one at all, for that matter.)

Would the Oxford 7350 work well for living in Beijing? If not, are there any others I should consider? I don't really want to spend more than $200 if it is possible.

Thank you for your help! It is greatly appreciated! :mrgreen:

You may or may not need one, but you're certain to have a much better selection to choose from in China. Also, I believe there are some new ones coming out in a few months that will be very interesting, so you might want to hold off until you get here.