Chinese-Forums

Translation Please!

LoverGirl

sa1 la4 this is obviously a Chinese word, which refer to a girl"s name.

In addition to that, it also can say that is Japanese word, since among these two languages, there are many characters which has the same writing form.

Of course, no one will use this name as their name in both China and Japan,

it could be only used by the female who seems to be as a foreigner to the local ones.

salad which you eat everyday, as : 沙拉:色拉

LoverGirl, in what context did you find this word?

It is two characters (Chinese characters, but they might also be used in Japan. I don't know Japanese), but together they are one word, pronounced sha1la1 (not sala). It can be the transliteration of a girl's name (Sarah), but when I saw it I first thought it was a transliteration of the word salad.

To my point of view, I think Japanese language is mainly composed of "katakana (平假名),Katakana(片假名)and Romaji(罗马字)".When Japanese want to transliterate a westerner's name, in most cases, I think they use Romaji instead of Kanji(汉字), which is written in another way.

沙拉 for salad, 色拉 is Ok too. But I think 色拉 is more used in HK and Taiwan, 沙拉 is more used in mainland. But nowadays, both of them are acceptable.