Chinese-Forums

problematic Microsoft Pinyin IME 3.0

RuthT

Hello, everybody,

I am facing a chinese input problem and hope some of you can help me out.

I tried to use Microsoft Pinyin IME 3.0 to input simplified chinese, yet the characters came out are all in traditional! I don't know why. The other input methods for simplified chinese are all working well, like nei ma, shuang pin etc., except this pinyin method.

I have asked many of my friends about the problem but it seems nobody ever encounter the problems. I've tried to find the solution from internet but couldn't find anything too.

Would appreciate if anyone can tell me why and how to solve the problem.

Thank you so much!

Assuming you've got Windows XP:

1. Control Panel>Regional & Language Options>Languages>Text Services>Details: Highlight then Remove each CH Chinese option, leaving only EN English, then Apply and OK.

2. This should bring you back to Languages Tab. Unclick Install Files for East Asian Languages, then Apply and OK.

Reboot.

Reverse Step 2 then Step 1 to get back where you started.

Note that IME seems temperamental, so while this shouldn't do any harm, there's never a guarantee with a Microsoft product.

There's a little icon you can click on to switch between 简/繁. If you don't see it, right click on the "CH" icon and choose "Restore the Language Bar". Then at the right edge you will see two tiny icons, the upper one is "minimize" and at the bottom is a little "down arrow", click that and you can enable all the hidden buttons, including the switch button between simplified and traditional. Also, make sure you are in a text field.

If you don't like IME 3.0, you can download 4.0, which is a lot better, imo.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3c381308-e169-41f3-812e-aa8774162795&displaylang=zh-cn