Chinese-Forums

Cats in China

Guest dmbrooking

OK.. being an American (I don't know if this is a belief held by other countries) but we are led to believe that in China, people eat cats quite a bit.

My question to those who have lived there or still do live there - is this true?

I am looking to travel, do the whole 'teach english' bit, and China is one of the places I am considering looking into. Except I have a cat who will come with me whereever I go...

So I need to make sure my cat will be safe :)

A civet cat is not the same animal as your beloved feline. Chinese people eat wild civets, not pets. I don't know the rules for bringing pets to China, but once met an English teacher in Guangdong who brought his dog from America. Based on that fact I believe there is hope for your kitty. Good luck!

people do eat cats in certain places in china, not a traditional source of meat but as an 'exotic dish'. so 99% of restaurants(would say 100% in cities) wont have that and its only restricted to a small group of ppl who are interested in it. anyway being a foreigner u can be pretty sure ur cat will be safe, esp if u are the 'golden hair and green eyes' type as most chinese dont want to be in such trouble that'll escalate into a 'foreign affair' thing. the authorities could be pretty harsh on them if it happens that u are the victim. i had one for 6 months last year. but my apartment doesnt allow pets and too bad it was discovered by the management, so i have to give it away. :cry:

Few Chinese eat cats. Many people keep them as pets(to keep rats in check) and let them run around their neighborhood. (well maybe not as often now since lots of old neighborhoods are being torn down now. I can't imagine people letting their cats out in 20-story buildings.) I am Chinese, and I think eating cats is gross. I think the majority of Chinese would agree with me, too. Also if a stranger cat comes to your house, it is considered bad luck. If your cat walks into somebody else's house, chances are the people there will "shoo" it away.

great :) thank, you guys made me feel so much better about my plans... that was really the only thing left that I was worrying about (although, from reading experiences online, I'm sure I'll encounter many more things that I am unaware of).. but if my cat will be ok, I'll be fine.. heh

My cat is more than 13 years old (he was born in October 1990). He has lost many of his teeth' date=' but looks quite strong for his age.

I don't think many Chinese eat cats. People would prefer eating dogs.[/quote']

yeah! 99.9% chinese think people which eat cats are freaks, they do prfer to eat dogs, but actually most of them are korean-chinese.

Um hello, you're taking a *cat* travelling??? Is that really fair on the cat?

ummm.. yeah?... why wouldn't it be? people travel with cats all the time. They even sell cat carriers that are designed to fit under the seat of the plane.

It has been me and my cat living alone for 5 years. All he knows is me. Would it really be fair to give him away to someone just because I am *travelling*?

My cat is more than 13 years old (he was born in October 1990). He has lost many of his teeth' date=' but looks quite strong for his age.

I don't think many Chinese eat cats. People would prefer eating dogs.[/quote']

yeah! 99.9% chinese think people which eat cats are freaks, they do prfer to eat dogs, but actually most of them are korean-chinese.

not true... people in northeast, southeast and southwest region of china had tradition of eating dogs, esp in the rural areas.