Chinese-Forums

Two questions ...

skylee

Hope someone could help ->

1. I use a Nokia N70 handset and it only provides strokes input method. Does anyone know if I could download an input method for traditional Chinese using Hanyu Pinyin? I have found 九方中英文智能輸入系統 諾基亞 v2.0 中/英文版 on the internet but I am not sure if it can be used on my handset. Any idea?

2. Thanks to Jose's post, I've recently discovered (stupid, I know) that the pinyin input method I use on my PC is based on Taiwan pronunciations. Is there anything I can install to enable me to input traditional Chinese using Hanyu Pinyin according to the Mainland standard? The installation must be simple as I am a computer idiot. I use Windows 2000 Professional ...

The Microsoft pinyin IME supports both simplified & traditional characters.

Take a look at Quest's notes in this thread on how to do the switch:

There's a little icon you can click on to switch between 简/繁. If you don't see it, right click on the "CH" icon and choose "Restore the Language Bar". Then at the right edge you will see two tiny icons, the upper one is "minimize" and at the bottom is a little "down arrow", click that and you can enable all the hidden buttons, including the switch button between simplified and traditional. Also, make sure you are in a text field.

If you don't like IME 3.0, you can download 4.0, which is a lot better, imo.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...playlang=zh-cn

Pls see Quest's post on getting/using the updated Microsoft pinyin IME 4.0 (2003 )

in http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/6695-traditional-character-input-using-pinyin-on-xp

Thank you for pointing me to use simplified chinese input method. I didn't know that it provides an option for traditional Chinese. I have all along been using 微軟新注音輸入法98a. I have now also included 微軟拼音輸入法 for simplified Chinese (though it is a 2.0 version).

The pinyin IME 4.0 version that Quest mentioned is huge. I have downloaded it but dare not use it not knowing what it will do to my PC.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I've installed pinyin IME version 4.0 at my home PC and it is working well. Can't do that to my office PC as there are security restrictions on downloading, etc. No big deal.

Any idea on my Q1, please?

[i guess people can get used to anything if they must. I have already started sending SMS using stroke input method. But I would much prefer pinyin input. So please help if you can.]

Skylee,

about Q1. I have a friend in Singapore who is using something similar. I've seen her use it and i guess it's what you are looking for. Now i don't know where she got it from or if she had to pay for it. I guess it's freeware somehow.

Post me a picture from your mobile phone as i don't know the N70 model. Is it a rather fat looking Nokia?

I can ask where she got it from ( if she remembers ).

Cheers,

Edwin

• 2 weeks later...

Re my Q2. I am now using MSPY 2003 to imput traditional Chinese. I find it strange that the help/setting menu etc are in English. It is not a problem to me but is it normal?

Another thing is that after installing it, the shortcut keys do not seem to work well anymore. I mean I used to be able to just press Ctrl+space to get to Chinese input and by pressing Ctrl+Shift to get to different input methods. Now there does not seem to be a way to get to MSPY directly. Even if I use the mouse to click on the language icon and even if the MSPY and 中 bar appears on the screen, often the pinyin I type still appear on the screen as alphabets instead of Chinese characters. (Hope you know what I mean.) Can I do anything to improve it?

Go to "Control Panel", "Regional and Language Options",

"Languages" tab

Click on the "Details" button.

In the "Settings" tab, click on "Key Settings"

You can change the hot keys here.

Mine is currently set to use left-alt shift to switch btw languages, don't remember if it's the default, but I prefer it this to Ctrl-Spc.

Also, on the "Settings" tab, if you select "Microsoft Pinyin IME 2003"

and click on "Properties", you will find some advanced configurion settings for MSPY.

i like ziguang -its very friendly

you can even type katakana and hiragana with it

here is the link

when you activate it a small bar will come up ,you can switch jianti to fanti by clicking the far right icon, you can type english by pressing shift'

the only drawback is that some of the fanti's are very old (暸for了..)

skylee: I assume you bought your phone from Hong Kong? I had the same problem with my old Motorola V750 which only has stroke input and traditional characters. However different markets sell the phone with different firmware, as the one you buy in China has simplified and pinyin input. I'm sure you can find an online site or a local shop who can flash another firmware version with pinyin input.