Chinese-Forums

Learning Chinese(Traditional) Flashcards

truant

Thanks so much for the donation - much appreciated. As you can see I have put a fair bit of time into them so it is nice the hear positive reports.

Regarding the pinyin being "Putonghua (PRC) or for Guoyu (Taiwan)" well, I am not an expert in pinyin to be honest and the pinyin is based on what is in the book. You will notice that some cards have 2 versions of the pinyin (from the book), which my teacher told me is for mainland pronunciation. An example of this is card #25 in Chapter 1 or Book 1.

I would love to create a simplified version, but the job would be made infinitely easier if i could get a hold of an excel table with a comparison between traditional and simplified characters. I am sure something like that exists out there. The other option is to track down a similar font but simplified.

Glad you enjoy the cards! Please spread the word and create links to the download page if you can...

Truant

http://www.truant.net/flashcards

Update:

I have tracked down some conversion tools, so I will have a closer look at that and keep you posted regarding the simplified version.

However, the question then remains: would you want the cards to be grouped according to the Practical Audio Visual books?.....or would "by frequency" or similar be better?

Appreciate your input.

Truant

http://www.truant.net/flashcards

I've only looked at a couple of the cards. Really nice design.

Can't you just put both Simplified and Traditional on the same card? That way someone could also (possibly) test themselves that way too.

Second, what did you use to design the cards? Anything automated?

I have tracked down some conversion tools, so I will have a closer look at that and keep you posted regarding the simplified version.

Truant, Wenlin, IMHO, is the best conversion tool. If there are multiple versions, it will display and prompt fro the more appropriate. If you don't have Wenlin but can send me a list of characters as text - preferably one character on each line, then I will convert them using Wenlin. Not sure what you can do with multiple choices but it's usually when converting from simplified to traditional.

For example, the simplified character can have 4 possible version when converting to traditional: 臺 檯 颱 台. In that case, the traditional character will be different but simplified will be reapeating. It would make sense to have some reference, so that if you concentrate on simplified when learning the characters, you know that there are 4 possibilities, depending on the meaning.

I also think that having both simplified and traditional on the same card is very beneficial. Quite often I have to make my own lists having both versions.

here's a conversion example (with words, not just characters), I chose some where simplified != (are not equal) traditional.

朝鲜 朝鮮 Cháoxiǎn

车 車 chē

车带 車帶 chēdài

车站 車站 chēzhàn

陈 陳 chén

衬衫 襯衫 chènshān

衬衣 襯衣 chènyī

城里 城裡 chénglǐ

成绩 成績 chéngjì

吃得惯 吃得慣 chīde guàn

吃药 吃藥 chīyào

吃饱了 吃飽了 chībǎo le