Chinese-Forums

difference between 经过, 通过, 路过?

Dan Bang

I definitely sense there are differences between 经过, 通过, 路过 - however my dictionaries can't help me in getting a firm grasp of the three words.

As far as i know, you can only say e.g. 通过考试 - so, it seems to me like 通过 is the only one of three that can be used in a more figurative way, not just in the meaning of passing something physically with your body... But that's the only distinction i can think of... Could anyone please explain?

Not exactly. When used in route, these three mean the same but they can be used in

different situations. For examples:

1. 黃燈亮的時候, 他快步通過馬路. (You will not use 經過 and 路過 in this case.)

When the traffic light turned yellow, he walked past the road quickly.

2. 經過(or路過)百貨公司的時候, 她看見一件漂亮的衣服. (You won't use 通過 in this case)

Passing by the department store, she saw a beautiful dress.

Additionally, 通過 can be used in passing examination, test, trial, etc. 經過 can mean "after something is done".

Examples:

1. 通過--- 他通過考試. He past the exam.

2. 經過--- 經過這件事後, 她學到了教訓. After this event, she learned a lesson.

3. 經過了一個月的努力, 他終於通過了面試. After one-month preparation, he past through the interview.

Hope it helps! :)

As far as i know, you can only say e.g. 通过考试 - so, it seems to me like 通过 is the only one of three that can be used in a more figurative way, not just in the meaning of passing something physically with your body... But that's the only distinction i can think of... Could anyone please explain?

The key to distinguishing these terms in English might lie in recognizing that "pass" in English corresponds only to 过 in Chinese. The question would then be what additional meaning 经, 路, and 通 give to this word.

From the explanation, it seems that 通 has some of the meaning of "getting through" or 穿 and implies getting through some kind of barrier. I think that 通 stresses getting all the way through, while 穿 stresses the physical relationship of the parts or "penetration." 经 seems to have a similar meaning, but refers to the experience of the journey, rather than the importance of any destination. 路 seems to imply that what is passed sits on the road you are traveling on. 横 seems to emphasize going across.

How about these distinctions?

过马路 cross the street

横过马路 go across the street from one side to the other

通过马路 go through the intersection by going across one street while on another street

穿过马路 go through the intersection by going across one street while on another street

经过马路 go by a street?

路过马路 pass by the street?

What would be the term for water passing along a tube, but staying inside it? For instance, "Water passes through the pipe system." What about passing all the way through a tube? For instance, "We passed through the tunnel?"