Chinese-Forums

Starting Cantonese

xiaojiang216

大家好!

Hi, I've been studying Mandarin for over 3 years now... I would like to start learning Cantonese, but I cannot study it as intensively YET. This is because I'm studying Mandarin and Spanish. I would like to take courses for Cantonese in college, but I am eager to start learning little by little. I need to start learning because of a personal situation I am in. So, what would be a good way to start? I asked my friend if he could teach me a few phrases each day, but this is not how I started learning Mandarin. I'm just really confused as to what I should do... Should I wait until I can take a course in college? Or should I just get some very basic background knowledge? If so, where do I start?

Sincerely,

Very confused,

小强

很感谢!

cantonese is better to learn from friends and living in place where you must use cantonese to survive. total immersion will help you get the tones. some places 7 tones, some places 9 tones. angry taxi driver: 11 tones.

:o) my girlfriend can record me watching an English Premier League match. you'll be cursing in fluent cantonese in no time...

hor hor.. ^_^

listen to Pimsleur's Cantonese, it gives you a good intro to the language and doesn't require any real work.

your 3 year's mandarin will definately help you with developing cognates, even stuff like words starting with the same letter.

and go through this:

http://www.chinawestexchange.com/Conversion/index.htm

and for all intents and purposes, there are 6 tones.

I also learnt Mandarin before starting to learn Cantonese, and I think your knowledge of Mandarin will help you quite a bit. Things to look out for:

- the 6 (7 if you learn from Teach Yourself Cantonese) tone contours

- Mandarin equivalents eg Cantonese (ge) basically = Mandarin 的

- some differences in grammar eg Mandarin 我先走 = Cantonese 我走先

Also check out Adam Sheik's site http://www.cantonese.sheik.co.uk and the forums there, and you may like to try out some books + audio tapes, such as Teach Yourself Cantonese, Chan Kwok Kin & Betty Hung's A Cantonese Textbook (I think that's what it's called - too lazy to check :roll: ) and Colloquial Cantonese.

You might also be able to get a copy of FSI Cantonese, I know there were people at the Cantonese Learning & Discussion Forums http://www.cantonese.sheik.co.uk/phorum/read.php?2,44375 sharing it via bittorent.

Hope that helps! :)

most importantly ... speak it.

create dialogues and practice. pretend you are in a market and speak speak speak with a native speaker and watch movies to imitate the actors accents and actions. don't worry about the cantonese particles that end sentences. practice practice practice dialogues for cantonese. :o)

• 2 weeks later...

I think the best way to start learning Cantonese is by watching Hong Kong (HK) DVDs. Just about all HK movies have English subtitles. Although, I believe triad movies are the only worthwhile kind to buy, since they teach you the practical street phrases on how to curse and hire hookers.

• 1 month later...

Brother, trust me, DON'T LEARN CANTONESE! I struggled with it several years ago and I just gave up eventually because you'll never get to use it if you want to learn real classic upper-class Chinese culture. And I totally agree that it sounds like fighting. If you want to take a language course in college, take Mandarin. That's the smart thing to do.