Chinese-Forums

Visas for studying in Taiwan

wix

Numerous posts on Forumosa and a couple of articles in the Taipei Times in the past few days have stated that students studying at non-university language schools in Taiwan are no longer eligible for visa extensions. I have posted some information about this on my blog.

However, an editorial in today's Taipei Times suggests the government has come to its senses and reversed this ridiculous policy. Hopefully this is correct.

Demarcgs: It is important to note that the issue doesn't concern entering the country or getting a visa, but extending your visa. Many nationalities can enter Taiwan for 30 days without a visa, but this is not extendable. IF you wish to study, work or remain in the country for an extended period for whatever reason you must apply for a visa before you arrive in Taiwan. Once in Taiwan you can then apply to extend that visa.

Hopefully the situation has been sorted out. I haven't seen any further news reports.