Chinese-Forums

suggestions?

rockytriton

Hey, I'm looking for some movies that are in mandarin (not overdubbed from cantonise). Something where they don't speak 900 miles per hour, like Crouching Tiger, Hero and House of Flying Daggers. They don't have to be those same types of movies, just something I can get ahold of and actually be able to make out what they are saying.

Its not strictly legal (so maybe roddy will delete this before you even see it)

but one solution is go to a chinese owned internet cafe and ask if they have any downloaded movies...

or make friends with some chinese in your neighbourhood and ask to borrow their vcds.

Either way, asking real people from china etc, will help you here.

Firstly, anything by director 冯小刚 is probably going to be in mandarin including:

大腕

不见不散

一声叹息

手机

甲方乙方

天下无贼

Then there are others like:

爱情麻辣烫

十七岁的单车

寻枪

一个陌生女人的来信

Then a few others I can only remember the english names of

Shanghai Triad

Quitting

To Live

If my memory serves me correctly, all of the above listed films are mandarin - well mostly anyway, as some of them have lots of 方言 in them.

I'm afraid you're out of luck with the 900 miles an hour part, though. However, on the bright side, the more you watch movies like this, the sooner your listening will be able to go at 900 miles an hour too :-)

手机

天下无贼

I've seen these two movies. 天下无贼 is the best of the two in my opinion.

暖春 【nuǎn】 warm; 【chūn】 spring

This is a good movie. It has a small child and her adoptive grandfather. Nice movie and they speak relatively slowly due to age.

Hope this helps.

Since you live in the States, you might be able to use netflix, as they have a great selection of Chinese films. Though there are many more hong kong films in there than others, I think once you find an actor/actress that you like and can understand, you'll be able to get their other movies.

For me, romantic comedies are the easiest to understand: less fast jive-talking, and simpler dialogs which (chances are) are a little more relateable in life.

My personal favorite, which I deprived the Netflix collection of for two months, is *Magic Kitchen*. It might have been in Cantonese originally, but to be honest, I couldn't tell. If it was dubbed, they did a great job.

If Netflix is not an option (and local movie stores are too expensive), my next step would be to find the nearest Chinese market which is almost guaranteed to have an entertainment shop nearby, and get some TV-series. I would watch for younger actors, or fantasy settings. They tend to have clearer Chinese, although the fantasy dialogs are not always useful. Ithink you can find things at us.yesasia.com.

Also, if you have a decent to good internet connection, you can watch Chinese TV online, although there is no pausing. If that is what you want to do, go here:

http://www.multilingualbooks.com/online-radio-chinese.html#china

Do you know the English names of these movies and/or where to get in the USA?

天下无贼

I've seen these two movies. 天下无贼 is the best of the two in my opinion.

暖春 【nuǎn】 warm; 【chūn】 spring

This is a good movie. It has a small child and her adoptive grandfather. Nice movie and they speak relatively slowly due to age.

Thanks again everyone for all your suggestions. I just got ahold of "The Promise" and started watching it. It makes me feel good cause I can understand a lot of it. I will try that 我的父亲母亲 next. Wouldn't it be better to say 哦的父母? Just curious?