Chinese-Forums

付vs寸

nipponman

I was typing in Japanese today and randomly typed these two characters. Noticing that these characters share a radical but not a phonetic element, I decided to look them up on the chinese-etymology homepage. But to my surprise, neither character has a phonetic listing. Furthermore, there doesn't appear to be any more complicated forms for 付 so that leads me to my question: what is the relationship of these characters to each other?付seem to have randomly recieved the pronunciation of fu4, any thoughts?

what is the relationship of these characters to each other?

ABC dictionary entries:

寸:

Picture of a hand, with the thumb (?) indicated by a dot.

付:

A 寸 (cùn) hand giving money to a 亻(人 rén) person.

付 "fu" is itself a phonetic element, 附属,符号,府第,驸马

Exactly. So why does its pronunciation differ so greatly from 寸?

[edit] Upon review of similarly 'radicaled' characters, I have noticed a startling trend that I don't think I noticed before, one which makes my question of no effect basically. Apparently, most characters that take 人 for a radical have drastically different pronunciations than the root character, I only noticed this on a few characters before however. So, I thank you all for your attepmted assistance, but my question is basically stupid.

atitarev's explanation is correct.

休 simply illustrate that a person rest beside a tree. 休 and 村 are 会意字, and they don't, unlike 形声字, have sound radicals.

There're 形声字 that do have completely different pronunciations with their radicals in mandarin, eg. 江, but 形声字 of this kind are not too many.

休 and 村 are 会意字, and they don't, unlike 形声字, have sound radicals

村 is actually classified as a 会意兼形声字. The 会意 explanation stretches the imagination a little, but you could hardly ask for a better example of a 形声字!