Chinese-Forums

越来越...

novemberfog

Tonight is the final lesson of the Chinese class that I am taking at my office. We don't have tests or homework, but sometimes the instructor challenges us to make some sample sentences. I thought I might try to come to the class tonight with correct answers, if possible. Last time she challenged us to make a sentence using 越来越, so I decided to make two. I am sure there are serious errors, but I gave it my best show below:

1. When spring comes the weather gradually becomes better.

春季来的时候天气越来越好.

chun1ji1 lai2de shi2hou2 tian1qi4 yue4lai2yue4.

2. Due to Chinese economic growth, the number of foreigners studying Chinese is getting larger more and more.

因为中国经济发展的关联,学中文的外国人的数量越来越多。

yin1wei4 zhong1guo2 jing1ji4 fa1zhan3 de guan1lian2, xue2 zhong1wen2 de wai4guo2ren2 de shu4liang4 yue4lai2 yue4duo1.

Are there serious errors, or even improper use of the the phrase? Thanks.

Hi,

You did a good job. No serious errors are in your sentences.

1. When spring comes the weather gradually becomes better.

春季来的时候天气越来越好.

chun1ji1 lai2de shi2hou2 tian1qi4 yue4lai2yue4.

You may write it as :春季来的时候天气(會)越来越好.

2. Due to Chinese economic growth, the number of foreigners studying Chinese is getting larger more and more.

因为中国经济发展的关联,学中文的外国人的数量越来越多。

You may write it as : 因为中国经济发展的關係,学中文的外国人(数量)越来越多。

Or, 因为中国经济发展的緣故,学中文的外国人(数量)越来越多。

Or, 由於中国经济发展的緣故,学中文的外国人(数量)越来越多。

Hope it helps! :)

I'm a native Chinese speaker who study in US now. It's interesting to see how people study Chinese. I find many common points in contrast to my English study.

春季来的时候天气越来越好

春天来的时候天气越来越好

春季 -〉Spring season,

春天 -> Spring

Like in English, we can say " When the Spring comes, the flowers bloom ... " , not " When the Spring seaon comes. .."

Just my 2 cents

and don't forget, when talking about the Chinese economy, it's forbidden to use the words 发展 without preceding them with 不断... :mrgreen: so maybe something like 随着中国经济的不断发展, 学中文的外国人越来越多.

Haha, ok well it's not really forbidden, but sometimes you get that impression when reading the Chinese news.