Chinese-Forums

browser compatibility test -- any volunteers?

trevelyan

Hi everyone,

Am working on something new here which is pretty javascript intensive. I know it works under the latest version of Internet Explorer and Firefox, but am not sure about other browsers and am particularly curious about the Mac.

http://www.adsotrans.com/test2/xinhua.html

If anyone is using one of these alternate browsers (Konquerer, Safari, etc.) and can take a minute to help test things out, it would be greatly appreciated. What you need to do is just visit the page above and wait a moment (until everything loads). When the page finishes loading the word 公司 should highlight and a popup should appear on mouseover. The box should disappear when your mouse moves out of the popup box.

There's a decent amount of javascript and some pieces -- particularly the mouse tracking portions -- are not terribly consistent across browsers. It would be useful for me to know what browsers are having problems, so if anyone using anything other than IE/Firefox can drop a private email or post below with the results by browser that would be much appreciated. Even confirming that things work as expected would be helpful.

Thanks,

--david

It works OK in Opera (latest version 8.51) except where 公司 is split across two lines in the final paragraph.

Here, it works fine on 司 but the popup box appears and immediately disappears when doing a mousover on 公. Holding the mouse pointer on 公 makes no difference. Once it disappears it stays disappeared until I move the mouse pointer away and back again.

I tried Konquerer 3.5.0-0.1.fc4 and did not see the highlight or get the popup. Unfortunately I did not get an informative Javascript error either. When I accessed the page I was prompted to install Flash but did not; does your test require it?

Your test works in Mozilla 1.7.12 on Linux, though. ETA: At least the first one did; I didn't look for other instances of the word.

Mozilla 1.7.12 / Linux

- The first and third 公司 work fine.

- For the second, split 公司 word, the highlight covers both words, but the popup only comes up for 公.

- For the fourth 公司 on the rotating set of links, the characters are not highlighted and there is no popup.