Chinese-Forums

E-mails in Chinese

xiaojiang216

大家好

I am wondering if I use MSN Hotmail to type an e-mail in Chinese... Will it be readable to a computer in 山东? My concern is that I sent an e-mail with MSN Hotmail in Chinese to my 老师, but she said that she just "random letters". I'm guessing that was the unicode she saw? :conf

I have sent e-mails in Chinese to other people using MSN Hotmail, and they really haven't had a problem.

So when certain people cannot read my e-mails, is that my computer / e-mail provider's problem, or is it their computer / e-mail provider's problem? My 老师 has Chinese Language packs on her computer, but she could not read it...

很感谢! :mrgreen:

You will get problems when your default encoding isnt the same as hers, which means that one of you will see garbage for sure, so it can be a big mess.

You can sort-of get around this problem by putting your text in a file instead of writing it directly in the email. Word docs work better than text files for this.

If I were to go ahead and send him an e-mail, and by chance he only saw:

aslfjds,

aslkfjsa;l! aslkdjfas;ljfs.. a;lsdkjf;lkasjf;lds

Stuff like that... Would he know that it was an encoding problem? Or would he think that I'm messing with him?

• 2 weeks later...

For those interested, I've had success recently corresponding in Chinese using gmail accounts. ie both sender and receiver must be on gmail. This is bcos gmail uses UTF-8 by default. I love google! :)

If the mail gets routed though Yahoo or MSN/Hotmail is involved, the encoded characters get messed up, as expected.