Chinese-Forums

all you can eat

goldie

how would you express an 'all you can eat' type deal at a restaurant?i thought maybe something like 500 kuai 随你吃 or 500 kuai ai chi jiu chi...

It's called 500元吃到飽 or 500塊吃到飽

expression for buffet is 自作餐

In Taiwan, we call it 自助餐.

Hope it helps!:)

bu fei, LOL that is a good one. i guess chi dao bao is what i was looking for. zi zhu can, although it's a help yourself type buffet, but it's not the concept that exists here in the UK, sometimes zi zhu can you can only help yourself once, but what i'm talking about is where you can go back again and again and stuff yourself. not that i want to do that, it's just i was asked it in class by one of my students and i just couldn't think of the right term.

xie la!

Originally Posted by goldie

what i'm talking about is where you can go back again and again and stuff yourself

That is 自助餐.

yep...dear goldie, 自助餐=buffet, buffet=自助餐. Heres the procedure in buffet: go in, sit down, den stand up again, go to the holy area where are the foodie are, load up, go back, enjoy, burp, chat, decide that you can still hold more, go back, upload again......*repeat as appropriate* , finally, surrender, pay and den leave, flash a smile and promise to be back again. :mrgreen:

ok, so maybe zi zhu can has changed since i were a girl. in my day we used to get a metal plate with little sections in it, go and fill up from the self service area with all the different cai, then go and pay, eat and go. perhaps people are more greedy these days? :mrgreen:

LOL OHHHHH I GOT IT LE...your zi zhu here means "self-service"....yeppy yes self-service is exactly what you are talking about...hmmm but in my context (Singapore), "self-service" isn't literally that "self-service", here...normally in hawker centre aka food centre aka "kopi-tiam" (the "kopi" comes from coffee, "dialectised" to hokkien, and 'tiam" is the hokkien pronunciation of 店" so it is "咖啡店"), you order the food and they will serve/bring the food to your table and you pay. When the stall displays the sign "Self-service", you order and stand there, wait till the food is ready, then you pay and bring the food to your table yourself. :mrgreen: