Chinese-Forums

The word 老毛子 [Lǎomáozi] - is it offensive?

atitarev

I heard that Russians are sometimes called 老毛子 [Lǎomáozi] in Dongbei (North-East). Is it offensive?

Is it similar to 老外 lǎowài? Also, does it only apply to Russians or other Europeans as well (ABC dictionary says 1) Europeans; 2) Russians).

老毛子

Only refer to Russian. It is a hostile word. I think it originates from early 20th century, when the Russians were active in Dongbei (North-East). They didn't have a good reputation at that time.

老外

Is like a nick name. Not offensive at all. In spoken Chinese, you can also add "老 " in front of lot of words , like 老爸,老妈. That means a close feeling.

红毛

Compared to Chinese, most western has more body hairs, and Chinese feel those hair are in red color. "红毛" is an obselete word now. I only saw it in history book. It's also a hostile word. It doesn't refere to all western, only those whose skin hairs are red.

二毛子

It's close to "traitor". In 19th-early 20th when most of Chinse still don't know Christianity, peopel think those Chinese Chrisitan betray his own ancester and culture. They became part of 毛子, but not pure 毛子.

Summarily, all the words including "毛" when used to refer a western are more or less hostile , and these words were mainly used in late 19th -early 20th.

The word 二毛子 can be seen in the book "正红旗下" by the famous Lao She somewhere in the middle of chapter 7. As was said above, it`s meaning is close to "traitor". In the Russian edition of the novel the translator explains the meaning of 二毛子,毛子,红毛。I also heard a word 老毛鬼 from our Chinese teacher who lived in the north of China in 1930`s.

毛子 is a very common name for Russians, used nearly by all the Chinese who live in Russia (coming both from the northern or the southern part of China), but not by Taiwanese. It`s becoming more and more common, and many people use it instead of the word "Russian" in every context. They try to use it not very often in the presense of Russians anyway.