Chinese-Forums

HSK purpose?

deterius

I see the benifet of doing the HSk for some reasons, but many elude me.

Unless you are applying for a school, is there any reason to do the lower level HSK?

I can see the the highest one can be good, because that can show that you are profficent. But if you are still studing chinese is there a point to stop and try to derail yourslef and study for the lower level HSK tests?

I'm not sure which specific ones you are talking about. The 基础 test is pretty basic, and I don't think it's of much more use than saying 'I have studied a bit of Chinese'. However, if you are new to language learning / haven't taken an exam for a long time / don't have much time before the exam, then it's probably a relatively gentle introduction.

This is particularly useful as the next level, 初中, covers both elementary and intermediate - so it looks pretty intimidating for an elementary student. However, if you can tackle this one I'd recommend you go for it - there are some decent preparation books which will have a positive impact on your Chinese level (just watch you don't neglect your speaking).

高 - advanced - is a much harder exam, and I wouldn't recommend taking it until you've gone through the 初中 exam at least once.

Roddy