Chinese-Forums

Kunming: Can you buy a tumble dryer?

hakkaboy

You can get dryers in KM, but only foreigners seem to have them, so you might want to ask around. Ask a laowai mommy at the Wicker Basket or sth, this kind of person would be the most likely to know. The time a dryer would come in handy is the summer when it´s humid (not hot though! :) and rains every day. A lot of people manage without a dryer though, I did, just takes a little planning (don´t wait till your totally out of clothes to do laundry). During the winter, spring , fall clothes dry pretty quick (24-48 hrs? , never timed it if you hang it out in the balcony or near the window so it can get some sun.)

Please slow down and do a little price research hakkaboy, unless you are loaded and it doesn´t matter to you. I paid 420 yuan for a very comfortable double bed mattress (probably too much, but I´m so white I glow at night - maybe you can do better if you´re Asian-forgot your background) , and some of your other price quotes seem a bit steep as well. Don´t ask other students. Ask the mommies in the WB - they don´t bite. A lot of them have lived in KM 5 plus years, and know how to shop. Of course the locals can get things really cheap, but they don´t always have the same tastes or standards for quality as foreigners. A lot of foreigners prefer sth. long lasting and a little more expensive but some Chinese prefer sth. cheap that breaks easy, but they don´t mind replacing it every month with by buying another cheap thing. (I had a local friend who wore out and bought a new pair of 20 yuan shoes every month!) Though I do admire the way you got the landlady to give you all that furniture. Usually my landlord paid for my cable when I was in KM.