Chinese-Forums

Unknown Chinese ex-pat painter?

deezy

Many (~17?) years ago, I went to a museum exhibit (Houston, perhaps?) by a modern Chinese ex-pat painter living in the EU (France, perhaps?). I am really sketchy on the details (hence I'm asking here), but I seem to recall he was old (60s or more) or perhaps even deceased at the time. He was well-known in his adopted country, though.

I was really struck by his work. They were huge pieces, like maybe 8'-10' x 4'-6'. A lot of explosive bright colors on dark backgrounds - like explosions in space. Often titled with "spacelike" names or cosmic themes.

Anyhoo, does anyone have any clue who this might be? I've been looking for him ever since as I cannot recall his name. :conf:-?

Ah, I see that you are talking about the famous Chinese painter Zao, Wou-ki (also Zhao, Wuji 赵无极) in France, who is also one of Ieoh Ming Pei (贝律铭)’s good friends. Zao is famous for his unique artistic idea “painting lights 画光”.

02.jpg

01.jpg

For more details, please check the links below:

http://kaladarshan.arts.ohio-state.edu/exhib/gug/indxs/tran/tranpaintpgs/C4171M.html

www.china.org.cn/english/international/80951.htm

Thanks!

studentyoung - Thanks! Yes, that very well might have been him!

Although I seem to recall his work being a bit more "blended" with less apparent brush strokes. More like his earlier pieces in fact:

Hommage à Chu-Yun

Huile sur toile

That more resembled "explosions in space" like this.

Yeah, this most likely is the guy... XIE XIE! :clap:mrgreen: