Chinese-Forums

Translation please! (an easy one!)

adrianlondon

Well, it's beyond me, but I still think it should be easy :)

I'm looking through a recent MSN chat I had with a lad in Shanghai. He can't speak English so there's no point in me asking him what he meant. I sort of guessed the meaning and carried on the conversation. Anyway ...

我也没有帮上什么忙!

If you need context, he had offered to help me learn Mandarin when I go to China and I asked him if he was interested in learning English.

Ok, let me try:

帮忙 means to help. Unlike the word "help" in English, it consists of the verb 帮 and the noun 忙.

So, pretend that the Chinese is equivalent to "give" + "help", you can say "(I didn't give) any help/ 什么忙", where 什么 is equivalent to "any" here.

Aha - I see. Thanks for that.

I thought 帮 or 帮助 was help and that 忙 just meant "busy".

Another line from my MSN history is, once I said I was at work :

那你先忙你的工作吧。

I can understand it, but I didn't realise 忙 could be used like that.

I recommend chatting with random people via MSN as a great learning experience :)

同志,

I find mine through web sites linked to my sexuality :)

You might want to find your own methods ... I'm sure MSN has "rooms" - you could probably find one dedicated to people in a certain city, pick people at random, and see who's interested in chatting.

Hiya - yeah, thanks for that. I did understand what he was saying; it was just the word order which was new to me.

Considering all my learning has been based on Practical Chinese Reader, some communist inspired 70s story of unrequited lesbian love between a chinese girl and a blond haired albanian, it's really useful to hear some "real world" experience :-)