Chinese-Forums

The SuperBowl (American Football Championship game),,, Can I see it live in Beijing?

magores

Does anyone know of a place in Beijing where I can watch the SuperBowl live? (It's not on regular TV is it?)

Would prefer a spot in Chaoyang District down near Panjiayuan, since thats where I live. But, I'd be willing to take the bus whereever I need to.

If you know of a place that is outside of Chaoyang, please be very specific about name and street. I'm still new to the city, and don't know all the areas very well yet.

Huge Thanks if you can help me! I'll even buy you a beer if I see you there!

Magores

Definitely. Look up ESPNAsia's listings and make sure it is on at the right Asian time. If it is on around 5pm in the US, then it would probably be on around 7am over there. After that, find a local sports bar (usually located in a western-chain hotel) and you'll be good to go.

I watched the UT-USC Nat'l Championship game in a manufacturing plant in a smaller Guangdong city. You definitely will be able to see the Super Bowl in a large city like Beijing.

If you're free at 7:30 Monday morning, there are a few places that are showing the game live. There's an article in the latest City Weekend:

http://www.cityweekend.com.cn/en/beijing/stories/super-bowl-monday.html

The places they mention showing the game:

Goose & Duck

1 Bihuju Nanlu, Chaoyang District

朝阳区朝阳公园西门碧湖居1号

west gate of Chaoyang Park

John Bull Pub

44 Guanghua Lu, Chaoyang District

朝阳区光华路44号

far west end of Gonghua Lu, west end of the embassy district

(This one would probably be closest to you.)

And the article mentions that it's showing in China on the ESPN Star Sports network.

Be aware that ESPN and Star Sports are 2 diffferent channels in China. You will see commercials for ESPN on Star Sports but if all you get is the free Star Sports channel then the only football you'll be watching is soccer.

Check the Gloria Plaza Hotel's Sports City Cafe. They have showed the Super Bowl live in the past but I am not sure about this year.

Sports City Cafe

Address: 3/F, Gloria Plaza Hotel, 2 Jianguomen Nandajie

phone: 6515-8855

They do not carry the same commercials. I watched ALOT of ESPNAsia and StarTV, as well as Cantonese football (soccer) when I was abroad and only saw local/regional commercials. Even during the bigger events such as College Bowl games and marquee NBA matchups, I did not see any American advertising.

With this year's less than glamorous matchup (anyone but the Steelers, please), the American commercials are my main focus.

pick up a copy of thats beijing, they have an article on this month, or go to their webpage. thatsbj.com and check out the forum, there were people talking about it earlier. but the john bull and goose and duck are your best bet. it will be crowded so get there early