Chinese-Forums

Please help test and improve dictionary tool... Thanks!

geek_frappa

I like it.

I don't need all the "search google" "search yahoo" stuff though, but I guess they help pay for your site. Only recommendation (although it could be just me who got confused) but instead of putting those icons *below* each entry, put them above the relevant entry instead.

Or is that just me?

Wow, very nice! :clap

I was searching for "rent" (as in monthly payment for an apt)...and did get back:

租金 zū jīn

So, VERY HELPFUL!

The only glitch was when I searched for a short word that also appears in many larger words - like "red." Then it found too many entries to display any. So, you might want to add an optional function for searching JUST for exact matches ONLY.

Otherwise, I really like the searching for any words or related phrases that contain an English word - kinda unique - I'm bookmarking this one!

How comprehensive is your dictionary, btw?

I would like to see an option to show an exploded definition. By that, I mean extra lines below showing the definition of each character within the word. It helps me to understand, and more importantly, often helps me remember the word.

Great job! If you can have some examples of usage and notes on the more common words, that would be fantastic :mrgreen: Also, since Chinese words do not have tenses and plural, and so on, perhaps you could allow words with the same root word to have the same results, e.g I entered in the words "friend" and "friends" and it yields different results, thus beginers may lose out some words.

• 3 weeks later...
How comprehensive is your dictionary, btw?

hi, deezy,

it is not very comprehensive yet... it is improving though, :)

e.g I entered in the words "friend" and "friends" and it yields different results, thus beginers may lose out some words.

this is a great idea. i have improved the query to provide you better results (hopefully)

http://www.pzlabs.com/aulenti/page8.php?search=kilometers

http://www.pzlabs.com/aulenti/page8.php?search=friends

I would like to see an option to show an exploded definition. By that, I mean extra lines below showing the definition of each character within the word. It helps me to understand, and more importantly, often helps me remember the word.

this is a great idea. how many examples would be needed? just a few maybe? or maybe at least 10? please let me know. thanks.

Is the program supposed to be able to translate? If it is, I'm afraid it's still some way to go yet.

it will translate soon... ;-) program is still learing how you type what you type.

I tried just one example (trying both "xin" and "xin1") and it returned nothing.

I tend to use http://hmarty.free.fr/hanzi/ as it accepts characters.

try these your searches again. this time, there is no spoon.