Chinese-Forums

Health Queries

RobAnt

I am considering the idea of teaching English in China - maybe from 2007. Worldlink have sent me an application form and various other documents - but I'd like to know of the experiences of others.

I am a type 2 diabetic, and at 50 years of age, I am now also Insulin dependent.

On top of that, I unfortunately have a rapid & irregular heart beat, but I am hopeful the doctors here will be able to resolve those issues within the next 5 or 6 months, so that I can return to work.

My question really is, are the required medications and ongoing medical care going to be expensive for me in China? I am currently on Insulin, of course, and warfarin and beta blockers amongst other things - of course my medications will change as my doctors repair the damage to my systems.

I don't think that Worldlink's medical insurance will cover pre-existing conditions - so if anyone has any experience similar to mine, I would be pleased to hear it.

Thanks.

I'm not sure how expensive the medication will be, but I know from my past experiences getting medical care in China that you can never be too sure that your medication is authentic. So if you need a specific drug like coumadin or warfarin or heparin... you might be risking something by getting your western drugs there.

My husband had pneumonia and we're about 99% sure the amoxicillin he was given was a placebo.

I'd really question if now is the best time for you to move to China. With medical issues like that, it might not be a good idea. If you stick to Beijing it will probably be okay... or Shanghai.

But I wouldn't go to rural Hebei or something like that. Your health is too valuable to risk.... and you never know if you will have a medical emergency that requires treatment.... you definitely want to make sure you have all of your medical details written clearly in Chinese so that in an emergency your conditions can be communicated effectively.

Kimberly

• 2 weeks later...

If I remember correctly, Type 2 diabeties is the one contracted and not born with. If that's the case you can look into Chinese Medicine to help control and reduce your dependancy on insulin. There has been good results with acupuncture and herbs. If you can get into it, taiji and qigong as well. Check the local TCM practictioners in your area for more information.

I don't know about the heart medications, but I used to have a student who was diabetic. He said he'd go through one 'pen' of insulin a week, and I think he said it was about 70RMB per pen. I think there are enough diabetics around that real insulin shouldn't be too hard to come by, even in small towns in Hebei (where I live).

EDIT:

On a separate note, I should also add that unfortunately you might encounter some discrimination from schools when looking for a teaching position. Some schools are reluctant to hire people with existing medical conditions.