Chinese-Forums

Is this mandarin? Or Cantonese?

Gestalt

I picked up a free Chinese magazine while in our local China town today, with the intention of

skimming a few articles just to see how much Mandarin vocab I could recognize. I'm still a beginner in Mandarin.

Problem is (and this is embarrassing..) I realise I can't even tell if the magazine is using Mandarin (traditional charatcers) or Cantonese! A link to an article on the magazine's online site is here

I recognise a lot of traditional chinese characters thanks to knowing Japanese, but are there any tips anyone can give me about how to tell the difference, at a glance, between Mandarin-written-in-traditional-characters, and Cantonese? Or do the two in fact look the same?

Perhaps there is some misunderstanding ... On the whole people write in standard mandarin, regardless of whether they use simplified or traditional characters (e.g. Mainland/Singapore vs Taiwan/HK/Macau), what dialect they speak and where they come from. The writing style and vocabulary may be a bit different but the grammar should be the same.

I think only a few HK magazines/newspapers are written in Cantonese, using Cantonese grammar and Cantonese-specific characters (many of them with a mouth 口 radical on the left). Examples are 喺, 嗰, 啲, etc.

Yea, also take note that only Hong Kong and Taiwan (in my knowledge) still use traditional characters. I've seen written colloquial Cantonese in some Hong Kong movies' subtitles.

Here is a an extract from here:

Cantonese is mainly an oral language. People in Hong Kong use standard Chinese (putonghua) when they read and write. They speak Cantonese in their daily interactions with people. As a colloquial language, Cantonese is full of slang and non-standard usage. The language of youth is rapidly evolving, and new slang and trendy expressions are constantly emerging.

Heres a good list of colloquial Cantonese characters. :mrgreen:

Does classical chinese look like cantonese vernacular?

No, classical chinese was spoken (if ever) so long ago that I think even before cantonese and mandarin ancestral dialects diverged, their parent dialect was already very different from classical chinese. Both Cantonese and Mandarin retain different sets of old words.