Chinese-Forums

Short-term teaching opportunities in China

jfranco

Hello,

I am currently studying Mandaring Chinese at a University and am in my second semester. I already have a BA from an American University and am employed full-time as a Senior Technical Writer for a corporation. I am wondering if there are any good short term opportunities out there for someone who would like to teach English in China or assist in the classroom. The pay is not that important to me, I just would like to get a perspective on whether it is something that I would enjoy.

I have visited the websites for several international volunteer organizations, but I am not sure of the legitimacy of these. I would be appreciative if anyone could tell me about short term opportunities.

Thanks,

Jill Franco

• 4 years later...

Well this was posted four years ago, and I have the exact same question.

Specifically I was wondering if any short-term teaching/tutoring opportunities exist in China. By short-term I mean 3 months maximum. Or 6, at a stretch.

I have a BA (English and Chinese) and a Master's in Translation Studies, as well as a few years experience tutoring English as part of my freelance language services business.

Basically, I'd love to go back to China for a while to re-immerse myself in the culture (it's been a while), but my funds aren't looking so good so any kind of short-term work I can pick up would make my trip doable. Of course I understand though that such opportunities are probably not very common, but hey, there's no harm in asking around.

Cheers.

Would you want to be set up with a school before you come over, or are you happy to come over on a tourist visa and see what happens? Major cities always have a constant stream of job ads for English teachers (check thebeijinger.com for an example) but short term employers are likely to be less willing or able to set you up with the proper visas and accommodation. Here's one which is one school semester, so maybe four or five months. Or you can pick up ad-hoc work like this.

Another option at this time of year would be to look for summer camp work - they're often not the best of jobs, but you may be able to earn enough in four to six weeks of working to fund the rest of your stay.