Chinese-Forums

How many words would someone need to know to major in Mandarin?

Miller9011

I think he's talking about someone majoring in Chinese in a Western university, right? If that's the case, a Master's/PhD student should know more Chinese than a BA student. 3000 characters and 10,000 words is kind of high for a BA, as far I can tell. With that kind of vocabulary, you would be able to read most Chinese novels and almost all newspapers, which I do not think is the case with most Chinese BA graduates.

a native chinese (or any other nationality), at the end of high school have a vocabulary around 6k to 9k words... studies shows this vocabulary DECREASE after undergraduate studies.

Remember, the vocabulary for HSK is around 8,5k words (im telling about level 11)

I have read once (cant remember where), in china, literacy in country is around 1500 and in cities 2000.

Interesting... I always wonder how many Chinese characters I actually know. I moved to Singapore when I was 5, cried in school for a couple of months because I have no idea what anyone is saying. But I guess I can be considered a native speaker?

a native chinese (or any other nationality), at the end of high school have a vocabulary around 6k to 9k words... studies shows this vocabulary DECREASE after undergraduate studies.

I've been watching alot of China drama series to maintain my Chinese, nobody speaks them here :/

Anyone know how to roughly gauge a person's vocabulary? Chinese specially?

Cheers,

Diana/贞慧