Chinese-Forums

hello, looking for help w/ calligraphy for my last name

filmboi

so my last name is Leang. My pops is half Chinese and Mexican, but he doesn't know much about Chinese culture since his dad died when he was very young so much cultural influence went about. In all honesty, I'd like to know more about my last name.

How do you pronounce it? "Leang" I usually say, "Lee-Ang," but sometimes I say "Lang." So I'm never really consistent, but only because I don't know the real essence to pronounce it. I have to assume that when it was translated when my grandfather arrived, it was pronounced, "Lay'ang" somewhat french sounding. I only assume that because why would they have added the e, and I doubt it's just "Lang."

second, I've always wanted to have my last name tattood in Chinese calligraphy. I'm willing to pay via paypal for that graphic image. -leang

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I would not know :/ There was once I came across this online calligraphy generator, you type in a chinese character and it generates the calligraphy version of it. I tried surfing again for you but was unsuccessful :( will inform you once I am able to find it again.

I think it should be Li Ang (李昂).

Liang is not a Chinese name. A Chinese name should be at least two characters, in fact, three characters names are more popular, four characters names seldom appear.

We called it first character of one's name Xing (姓) and other characters Ming (名)

So, Liang (梁) is just a popular Xing (姓) of Chinese people.

其实“楷书”和“隶书”就属于中国书法。在word里你选择相应的字体Font就可以了

但是真正的作品应该由书法家写出来的!

qiang2260, but what filmboi is asking for is his surname,

so my last name is Leang. My pops is half Chinese and Mexican, but he doesn't know much about Chinese culture since his dad died when he was very young so much cultural influence went about. In all honesty, I'd like to know more about my last name.

Which was why I suggested 梁

I agree with HashiriKata, why not just learn how to write your surname in calligraphy? or just use those fake tatoos thing :D

Am I wrong to say that lastname = surname?

How come weiwei and qiang2260 says last names are names (first names)? :shock:

I'm getting confused now lol

hello beautiful people! thx for all the input, I really appreciate it.

Well my first name is Steven, and that's how you would address me I guess... My surname would be "Mr. Leang" or something. I like tattoos, and for me I use them spiritually and symbolically. I have Mayan & Aztec hieroglyphics on my chest. Not too big and not too small, but stuff that relates to the universe. I'd like to have something symbolic as part of my ancestry from Asia since I already have some tattoos that reference my heritage from Central America. I'd like to have a bit of everything, and mostly tribal stuff. I want this tattoo since it's a connection between father & son. Maybe I should get something else instead of my last name, but still has reference from China.

Well my grandfather came to Mexico from China when he was very young; early 1900's. Mexico's language is Spanish. So, let's think about pronunciations during the time. Now in Spanish, "Leang" would be broken up into two syllables; Le-Ang. In Spanish, "Le" is identical as in French "Le." Or in Spanish the letter i is pronounced as in the letter e (in English), like Lee, Tea, Me, She, He, etc.. so in Spanish the letters i, and e are not the same.

So, I really doubt that in Mexico they would have pronounced "Leang" for the sake of English tonality, and not "Lee-Ang" ("Li-Ang.") They would have taken my grandfathers' tone & pronounciation quite literally, so when he said "Leang," I'm more than sure he would have pronounced it as "Le-Ang" like in French but with two syllables. If he would've said his name like "Lee-Ang," then the Mexicans would've translated it as Liang with respect to their vocabulary. Surprisingly, Liang in Spanish and English are pretty much pronounced the same way, but Leang in English and Spanish are different.

So to make my point, what surname in Chinese sounds like Le'ang? Le as in French "Le."

For those who know a bit of Spanish will know exactly what I'm talking about. My conclusions are that Leang and Liang in Spanish are not the same at all, and remember that my grandfather was living in Mexico and had to learn Spanish. So English has no relation to these circumstances, and highly doubt that the Mexicans had favored English translations over their own Spanish... thanks!!!

Filmboi: it still might be Liang. China has many different dialects, and one word (or surname) is pronounced differently in different dialects. Most likely your grandfather's dialect was not standard Mandarin, so what he pronounced as Leang might still be 梁. Do you know where in China your grandfather was from?

Unfortunately, my father was the youngest of all the children, and was about 6 when he passed away. Most of the older brothers and sisters have passed away, and the one's that are left don't know much. Yes I know it's embarrasing that we can't trace our family's lineage. However, we continue with a new generation of Leang's here. :wink:

So there's no such thing as Leang then? :cry:

I guess it really doesn't matter right? I still have Chinese! :) That's pretty much the point. Maybe I should get a universal tattoo from ancient chinese hieroglyphs! :mrgreen:

Not to encourage you to get the tattoo, but you can look at this list of Chinese surnames yourself. To see the pinyin for a name, point the mouse over that name.

http://www.popjisyo.com/WebHint/AddHint.aspx?d=9&e=Big5&r=e&s=0&du=http%253a%252f%252fwww.m-w.com%252fcgi-bin%252fdictionary%253fbook%253dDictionary%2526va%253d&u=http%253a%252f%252fwww.greatchinese.com%252fsurname%252fsurname.htm

Here are the ones that begin with the letter L. 郎(lang2) is another possibility, but there is still no 'e' sound.

呂 lǚ

郎 lang2

魯 lu3

柳 liu3

廉 lian2

羅 luo2

梁 liang2

藍 lan2

路 lu4

婁 lou2

林 lin2

駱 luo4

淩 ling2

盧 lu2

陸 liu4

曆 li4

劉 liu2

龍 long2

黎 li2

賴 lai4

勞 lao2

酈 li4

連 lian2

廖 liao4

祿 lu4

利 li4

冷 leng3

令 ling4

離 li2

• 3 years later...

Hi there,

I was really excited when I came across your post. My grandfather also migrated from China to Mexico. As to what region, it's still uncertain as my father has no knowledge of our lineage. I am just now beginning to research the settlement of the Chinese in Latin America. I would love to know more about perhaps what region in Mexico your grandfather or father grew up in, etc. I guess I can't say I have any imput on what kind of tattoo would be more fitting, but I'm dying to speak with a fellow mexican chinese american. =). Hope to hear back!

Thanks!

Reading "Leang" using Spanish phonology, one would get something like /leang/ (That's ng, not ŋ.) It sounds a bit like Cantonese 梁. (There is a low probability that someone who goes to Mexico in the early 1900's speaks Mandarin.) 連 is less likely (liːn). 郎 probably wouldn't use "ea" as a nucleus. My guess is 梁. Still, it would suck to have someone else's surname on your skin.

I'll give you a scan. The ones not crossed out by a giant red streak are "ancient Chinese hieroglyphs."

30c6n1c.png

Oh, the circled one isn't either.