Chinese-Forums

Catching up on Chinese literature

Xiao Kui

I guess this question is more for Chinese who went to high school in mainland China or laowais who have studied uni level Chinese literature there.I am interested in possibly taking some Chinese literature courses or even pursuing a degree in Chinese literature at a Chinese university in about a year and a half. I have taken advanced Chinese in China before, where we covered some pretty heavy duty literature, but mostly bits and pieces of 20th century stuff: essays, sanwen, etc.

I imagine that I would be pretty far behind my Chinese classmates (don´t know if I could even be admitted into such a program), but I still have a year and a half before I enroll so I have a little time to read and catch up a little. My question is what literature would the average Chinese university student be expected to have read by the time he enters university? What kinds of things do you have to read in high school in China? Do you have to read the 4 great novels? What abt poetry? I know even little kids can recite 100-300 Tang poems, but what about other poetry? What abt philosophical works such as the analects of Confucius? Would I even encounter those in a literature class or is that reserved for the philosophy major? Historical works? Any other mandatory reading?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Chinese literature at the university level is divided into Ancient and Modern. Here's my take on the requirements for modern literature.

I can't say what's required for an entering undergrad, but for grad school, here's what you're expected to have covered:

- Literary history: the major trends, schools, and themes of 20th century literature in China. This goes from the late Qing novels of social criticism (Liu E, Zeng Pu, and so on), through the May 4 movement and all its competing philosophies, the competing literary societies in the 30s, war literature, Mao's statement at Yan'an and its effect on the literary scene, changes in the 50s, model plays during the CR, scar literature, roots finding in the early 80s, and a general outline of trends in recent contemporary literature.

Note - this does not imply that you've read all those books, just that you're familiar with the names, titles, and events.

- Literature: Major works by Lu Xun, Guo Moruo, Lao She, Ba Jin, Mao Dun, and Cao Yu. Also some Yu Dafu, Shen Congwen (people in my program who admit to not having read 边城 get dirty looks from the professors), Wen Yiduo, Ding Ling, Zhang Ailing, and some of the major influential essays.

- Theory: Familiarity with various schools. If you've studied lit in the west, this is where you'll have the advantage, since theory at the graduate level in China seems similar to the emphasis it receives at the undergrad level in the US.

Of course it's good to have read the four classic novels, but aside from Wang Guowei's Critical Annotations on Dream of the Red Mansions, they're not going to come up in a classroom context unless you are explicitly drawing parallels.

Information about books and requirements is actually quite readily available on the web - Chinese students looking for information can find book lists and topic outlines; for foreign students, just assume the breadth and depth of the requirements are slightly less. Of course, eighteen months prior to enrollment is about the time when Chinese students start reviewing for the exams, so you'd better get cracking!