Chinese-Forums

Teaching Spanish in Najing?

raullconraull

• 2 months later...

Hi Rahul,

It's been a log time since your post, but I guess you are still not in Nanjing, so that's fine...

If you are going to study here there are a few options available:

1. Ask your students' office. They could be helpful ... from time to time..., although it's not legal for students to work (everyone does it though:-), if you tell them that you are looking for something they will could help you out.

2. Big problem though is that learning Spanish is not very popular here so you might want to consider changing to teaching English..I know, it sucks...but you can earn yourself good 2000 yuan without too much efforts.

3. I don't know which university you will be studying at, but in the area of Nanjing Normal Uni and Nanjing Uni and Hehai Uni there is a bakery called Skyways where many foreigners and Chinese post messages on a board looking for and offering jobs. So keep your eyes open!

Hi,

I´m gonna study in the Nanjing University... and I have the feeling that u r studying in Sheffield University, aren´t you?

I already knew that working in China is not legal withaout a visa for it, and I dont want to loose my scholarship, but u know what kind of job i will look for, sth informal.

About teaching English... ummm, my English is not good enough, dunno.

Thanx a lot.

raull.

Why would u think I study at Shefield Uni....?:roll: strange, but anyway...:-)

I live and work in Nanjing. Been here since 2001.

Congrats on the Nanda scholarship. It's a good place to study.

If I hear anything about Spanish teaching I'll let you know.:-)

hi again!

i though maybe u are a girl who is nanjing right now from my uni, she´s name is aliya too, lol. my department is small enough to have an idea of who is who.

Perhaps i can ask u ur mail.... it would be easy if i know someone to ask this little things which can make the life easier when u r new in a town, but no pressure :wink:

Thanx again.

take care.

raull.

刘易思。

Hi Raull,

I think it is possible for you to teach Spanish. However, I would recommend a few things:

1) I think you’ll need to advertise. No one will come up to you to ask you to teach Spanish. Also, if you advertise, you might also want to give some reasons why people want to learn Spanish. People in China generally don't know very much about the language.

Also, I’ve read that some prospective graduates who know Spanish can find some job opportunities, especially in Beijing and Shanghai. Chinese trade with Latin America is booming, so knowing Spanish could be an advantage in the competitive job market.

The point is, this isn’t common knowledge to most people, so you’ll have to convince people of the need to learn the language.

2) Also, I think it would be a good idea to bring some teaching materials with you. I imagine that outside of the big cities, there isn’t a lot of learning materials for students of Spainsh. I once tutored a girl in Henan province, and she had to go to Beijing to find learning materials.

Well, good luck!. :D

hi! thanx. ur rite... better to bring with me some materials... i haven´t though about it before:roll:

i´ll try to 'sell' the language to someone, lol, hopefully there will be someone who will be interested.

thanx again.:)

raull.

刘易思。