Chinese-Forums

Learning Chinese after Japanese

yingguoguy

Although, Japanese and Chinese are quite different languages, I find it possible and useful to keep trying to map words, which are written similarly, although the usage or frequency will not be the same.

This way, if I spend some time on Japanese, make a list of new words/characters, look up their Chinese readings, modern simplified/tradtional form, I have the feeling - I am learning both languages at the same time :) . The reverse is often harder but not always, my vocab is becoming larger in Chinese and I notice it helps me to understand Japanese texts better and I don't have to rely on a large number of words written in kana.

It is challenging to learn more than one language at a a time but I find it's fun and I find it easier when you are about intermediate in both.

• 3 months later...

I am currently studying Mandarin Chinese and Japanese both at the same time. I am wondering how I should continue this though since now I have pretty much been past the basics in both languages and will be self-studying Japanese but studying Mandarin in school. I was thinking Mandarin from monday-friday and Japanese on the weekends. But this may be too far apart for Japanese. My Mandarin has helped my immensely in learning kanji which I like, but are these languages too similar to the point where I would be confused beyond repair? During my second Chinese course I was concurrently enrolled in a Japanese course at the local college and it worked out okay, but I am not sure how it will affect me now since I will be getting more advanced in both languages. Any help/tips would be appreciated as well as input.

• 2 weeks later...

It's just hard to do long-term like anything demanding but if you set yourself some rules without wrecking your social life or something. You may get somewhere. You won't be able to devote the same time or devotion on one language, though or make sure you know them equally :mrgreen:

IMHO, it is OK to do one language on a weekend, if you do the other one during the week. You may want to do some catch-ups in Japanese, if you only do it on weekends. If you really want both to be about equal or spend enough time with both, swap the priorities from time to time.

I managed to maintain my Japanese over a long period, while learning Chinese but I haven't improved it as much as Chinese, although I got better with characters (both in Chinese in Japanese). I put an en extra effort into linking simplified/traditional/Japanese specific characters - my Japanese character lists usually have references to Chinese readings and sometimes meanings (I think, it's not worth doing the other way around).